Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book from Adrian Goldsworthy: How Rome Fell
Quote:
Epictetus:1zthb9e0 Wrote:By the way, here is another thing I forgot to mention: Goldsworthy follows that newer idea of having one footnote for every paragraph and there listing all his sources.
Goldsworthy or his publisher perhaps?

Most publishers don't give a damn about what's in footnotes/endnotes, just where you put 'em (most hate footnotes these days, some hate all notes and ban them - I refuse to write for the latter). Coulston and I used one (end)note per paragraph for both editions of B&C as it is tidier and less fussy than one for each citation (and I also made it a rule that there was no discussion in the notes, just references). It's a typesetter/book design thing in me, I'm afraid; just like books that use underlining make me scream manically and attack the book with some form of power tool. Possibly an over-reaction, but hey, it's good for stress. ;-) ) When I typeset the Haverfield bio for Phil Freeman (published by Oxbow, who are always content to let me set my own books) he used footnotes and there are some massive ones in there that carry on for pages - this can cause some page layout software to fall over and whimper, so endnotes are often a practical solution, and one note per paragraph a logical economy.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Messages In This Thread
Re: New Book from Adrian Goldsworthy: How Rome Fell - by mcbishop - 07-23-2010, 11:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome and parthia book Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 1 1,206 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Book on History Of Rome Narukami 5 2,427 12-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS
  Cannae by Adrian Goldsworthy ParthianBow 3 1,766 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar