Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Plumata Article by Erik Schmid
The first twenty orders of the Journal receive a reproduction plumata sample as an added bonus.

See:
http://webpages.charter.net/erikdschmid/
Quote:The first twenty orders of the Journal receive a reproduction plumata sample as an added bonus.

That's a nice bonus. Does that also go for already made pre-orders?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Is a lorica plumata simply scale mail or a specific type of scale mail with the central ridge on the scales to look like down feathers?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Quote:Is a lorica plumata simply scale mail or a specific type of scale mail with the central ridge on the scales to look like down feathers?

A simply scale shirt (scales attached to fabric) is called a lorica squamata. The plumata are scales connected to each others by rings (so say scales over a chainmail)
ALA I BATAVORUM
The modern definition of plumata is not the same as the one used by the Romans. Today people tend to use the term to describe mail that has been constructed with a mail backing. The Romans would have used the term lorica plumata ("feather armour") to describe any scale armour made of scales with a vertical medial ridge as opposed to scales with no ridge which were called lorica squamata ("fish scale armour"). The backing is irrelevant. Personally I'd prefer the term "mail and scales" or even "scale mail" [shudder]. Using "plumata" just confuses things and armour terminology is confusing enough already.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:
martijn.wijnhoven:3fsqr9p4 Wrote:The first twenty orders of the Journal receive a reproduction plumata sample as an added bonus.

Why yes it does. Smile
I have a small sample of the plumata Erik made. It is truly worth it.

Of course I cannot wait for him to finish the entrie lorica for me.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:
jvrjenivs:1f35hbrb Wrote:
martijn.wijnhoven:1f35hbrb Wrote:The first twenty orders of the Journal receive a reproduction plumata sample as an added bonus.

Why yes it does. Smile

Nice. Looking forward to the Journal!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Nice. Looking forward to the Journal!

Me too, can't wait! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I have a question. Know you if the romans (authors...) use the latin words "Lorica plumata"? If yes, the difference between Plumata and Squamata is really attested?
Paulus Claudius Damianus Marcellinus / Damien Deryckère.

<a class="postlink" href="http://monsite.orange.fr/lesherculiani/index.jhtml">http://monsite.orange.fr/lesherculiani/index.jhtml

[Image: bandeau2008miniyi4.jpg]

Nouveau forum de l\'Antiquité Tardive: <a class="postlink" href="http://schnucks0.free.fr/forum/index.php">http://schnucks0.free.fr/forum/index.php
The term lorica plumata has been used in Roman times (for example by Justin) but isn’t contemporaneous with the occurrence of this type of armour. It is highly probable that this isn’t the correct name.

One of the articles in this issue of the Mail Research Journal has a section especially dedicated to etymology. It will also present/use an alternative name for this kind of hybrid armour which seems more appropriate.

Cheers,

Martijn
The new journals have arrived and are ready for immediate delivery. Pre-orders are in the process of being shipped right now with their LHS samples. Big Grin
Great. Looking forward to it!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Excellent news! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Martijn and I have had long discussions about this type of armour. We have several examples of this rare form of scale armour on display (and in the archives) at Caerleon. All the examples came from Usk (Roman, Burrium) and are therefore reliably dated to between 54 and 66 AD as a t.a.q.

Unless you actually see the stuff, it's very difficult to envisage just how small the scales are - around 5-7mm long. Even in this small scale, they have a median rib. I've always been intrigued by the name. Were they really meant to 'look' like feathers or were they meant to behave like feathers? Robinson states several times that sculptures such as the Adamklissi monument and some tombstones exaggerate the size of the scales. From even a small distance away, the median line, giving the appearance of a feather, is virtually invisible.

In the Usk examples (and several others as well), the scales seem to be fixed only at the top and not also at the sides, as is the case with other known examples of squamata armour. Is this of any significance? It would be very difficult indeed to punch three pairs of holes in these very small scales (top and each side). Robinson remarks that the overlap of the scales is the same, irrespective of the size, because the holes have to be a certain distance from the edges, or the linking wire ties would simply tear through. There is a possibility that the small scales were meant to move as the wearer moved about (or the wind caught them) and it was this movement that gave the impression of feathers and not the shape of the scales themselves. I can't find the reference at the present time, but I think that Robinson mentions this somewhere in TAoIR.

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Known specimens of lorica plumata martijn.wijnhoven 20 9,322 11-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: martijn.wijnhoven
  What does a Lorica laminata weigh? Question on the Plumata Steakslim 6 4,616 12-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Any evidence for a Lorica Plumata Manica? jkaler48 3 1,858 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Last Post: jkaler48