Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Niedermormter helmet query
Yeah, I know, and I really want a realistic reproduction of this helmet! Sad roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Even the little mouse on the skull with what I take to be a loaf of bread (rendered as a form of star or flower on the reproduction) may relate to some other theme that may have been present and is now gone or even some intended decorative theme that was never applied due to early use of the helmet in service or some other reason we'll never know about.

The mouse and loaf icons appear on some grave stones of Praetorian guardsmen. The loaf signifies the bringer of life and the mouse symbolises the harbinger of death. Perhaps this particular helmet (Guttmann AG800) beloged to a soldier of the Praetorian guard.
WOW !

...it's ilusionistic "painting" by metal on metal ....really cool thing Big Grin wink: ....I mean it's not so hard to do in present time ...we live in 21th. cen. Big Grin

I didn't know this helmet had the decorate like this ....absolutly fantastic !