Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Niedermormter helmet query
I was studying the bronze Italic H 01 helmet from the photographs in the helmet database and have noticed the decorative plaques on the neckguard and the browband( not the noted inscription on the peak reinforcement but the helmet itself) all have some form of engraved decoration on them, the central plaque with the handle has two standards on it as far as I can see.
Is there a record of what these decorations are or archeological drawings recording them anywhere? , it seems therefore very ornate for a normal legionarys helmet, has anyone done any research on this?

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,96/
I have a very good friend who has created this helmet in brass and believe me his creation is wonderfull, however he has not done the decoration on it which I myself would have liked to have done. What I have studied of this decoration is that it all looks to be incurse or recessed into the metal, it makes me wonder if indeed it did not have some kind of inlay in it. As far as details of this decoration one would think that the museum that holds it should surely have some kind of records of it on print.
Brian Stobbs
Klumbach, Römische Helme aus Niedergermanien, provides the following information about the decoration:

The figures were punched into the metal and the background surrounding the figures was then tinned or silvered (white metal) so that they stood out in gold. The fact that the figures today appear to be deeper than the surrounding metal is due to the fact that the helmet was restored using acid which had different effects on the tinned and untinned parts and is not original.

The brow band bore three temples with a naked mars in the middle temple and signa in the outer temples with victories standing between the temples and a dolphin on each end of the brow band. The tabula ansata on the neck guard bore an eagle between signa and - probably - a persian hat between "bandages" on the triangles, the two angles bore sea centaurs. The maritime elements correspond with coins and tile stamps of Leg. XXX showing Neptune.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Does anyone have good resolution photos of all the decoration on the helmet?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes. Any detail in particular?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
All of them... Big Grin D
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
You're easy to please, aren't you? :wink:
Double-click to enlarge. Big enough?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks for that Jasper. Unfortunately, I can only make out the standards under the rear handle. Sad
The inscription is too blurred, or grainy, to make out.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There's no satisfying some, is there? :wink:
the helmet db record states that the inscription on the brow front reads: "LEG XXX VLP VIC L SOLLIONI SUPERI". Having seen many of these punched inscriptions on equipment first hand, I can promise you that even if I showed you a 20Mp photo close up, well lit and sharp as hell, you'd probably still have difficulty reading it. There very often sloppy, strongly abbreviated and use the least number of 'points'/letter they could get away with.
As to the neck guard, I'm afraid that's what it's current state is like.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
OK, Thanks. So basically, we are fairly free as to what we do in these areas for a reconstruction?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, that depends on whether you want an exact reconstruction or a Niedermormter type with your own decorations. As Jens indicated above, the symbols on the helmet correspond with Legio XXX. So if you went and personalized your own, stick to the imagery associated with your particular legion.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks all,particularly Jens.To hear that its a themed decoration related to the legion is particularly interesting.
My days of reenactment are probably over so reconstructing the decoration would be purely from a personal interest point of view,however I still have a keen interest in a few periods of which this is one,though I dont profess any deep knowledge of anything I like to look at things with a critical eye.
What I was curious about was in actual fact,the other Gutmann helmet similar to this one, I found the applique panels very odd and was trying to reason why they would have been placed like that. To find that this similar design was also covered in panels which were a contrasting silvered colour against the bronze has made me wonder if the Gutmann helmet may not have originally had these bronze panels on an iron helmet with silvered decoration in the middle, a sort of 'negative' of the niedermormter,of course there is no surviving evidence for this and none of the punched decoration on the bronze helmet is present on the iron one but that in itself doesn't rule this out as a 'fashion' which may have existed briefly in the army. That the browguard also has the lip on the front also makes me wonder what that was for if not to display some inscription or dedication.
Even the little mouse on the skull with what I take to be a loaf of bread (rendered as a form of star or flower on the reproduction) may relate to some other theme that may have been present and is now gone or even some intended decorative theme that was never applied due to early use of the helmet in service or some other reason we'll never know about.
Were my photoshop skills a bit better I'd try to do a virtual image but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to art and I fear I'm not adept enough in the virtual medium to carry it off but I may attempt it sometime in the future.

Anyone think I may be taking a supposition too far please feel free to say so. Smile
Heres a rough photoshop mock up, its about as techy as I get at the moment.
I know some of the details will be way off as I'm only guessing what some of the them are from marks I can see on the photo in the helmet gallery,so I'm keeping them to a minimum and I really haven't figured out the phrygian cap shape in the triangles.
WOW, that is great. I can barely make out the standards..... 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Wow I never realized that this helmet was so detailed up close. It must have looked amazing in its original state. I'd really like to see a realistic reproduction of this helmet. It would be amazing.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]