Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What -- Asterix A Sellout?! Say it ain\'t so Al
Daughter is not happy with her father...

[size=150:14lc6g0w]Daughter accuses Asterix creator of selling out[/size]
1 hr 32 mins ago
PARIS (AFP) – The daughter of comic book author Albert Uderzo has accused her father of selling out his most famous creation, the pint-sized Gallic warrior Asterix, by ceding control of the series to his publisher.

France's biggest publisher Hachette Livre took a 60 percent stake in the Asterix books' parent company, Editions Albert-Rene, on Tuesday, days after 81-year-old Uderzo confirmed the series would continue after his death.

The remaining 40 percent stake in the bestselling series remains with Uderzo's daughter, Sylvie Uderzo, who attacked her father's decision in an article written for Thursday's edition of the French daily Le Monde.

"Today, I'm rebelling. Why? Because Asterix is my paper brother," she wrote. "I find myself entering into battle against, perhaps, Asterix's worst enemies -- the men of industry and finance."

Sylvie Uderzo said that her father had always wanted to keep the rights to Asterix within his small company, and had intended -- like Tintin's creator Herge -- that no more adventures be written after his death.

The daughter accused her elderly father's entourage of advisers of pushing him into a "180 degree turn" and making him "deny the values with which he brought me up: independence, brotherhood, friendship and resistance."

Uderzo senior has overseen the Asterix books on his own since 1977, when the moustachioed hero's co-creator Rene Goscinny died. Goscinny's daughter Anne has given her consent to the Hachette deal.

The surviving author's daughter, however, hit out at the arrangement, which will see new writers and illustrators continue to recount the plucky warrior's adventures even after both his creators are dead.

She said her concerns did not stem from a family squabble and instead had to do with the integrity of her father's work.

"It's not a question of brandishing a family squabble like a red rag before a bull, but the story of a manipulation intended to change the natural order of life and the survival of a work of art," she wrote.

"I will therefore fight, not against my father, but to preserve everything he has achieved," she said, blaming her father's entourage for creating a division in her family and her company.

Uderzo and Goscinny met in Brussels in the 1950s, releasing their first full album -- Asterix the Gaul -- in 1961.

Today his adventures, in which he and his constant companion Obelix defend their Gallic village against Caesar's Roman legions, have been translated into 107 languages, with more than 300 million books sold.

The Asterix stories have also been turned into several successful films and an Asterix theme park was opened in 1989 north of Paris.

Uderzo is currently working on a new Asterix story, slated for release in October to mark the 50th anniversary of the character's first appearance in the children's weekly Pilote, in 1959.

:? wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Didn't Albert Uderzo sell out the legacy when he decided to continue to continue the series after René Goscinny's death? Personally, I think that right now, there is little left to sell out.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Yes, this all sounds very similar to the struggle over Winnie the Pooh between Disney and the children of Pooh's literary agent. The author's children are tied up in this as well, and though CA State courts ruled in Disney's favor (most recently) the Feds have not and it does seem that Disney has been engaged in some pretty shady dealings in this affair. (What a surprise. Confusedhock: :roll: )

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 448S73.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 658D02.DTL

As is usually the case, it is all about the money. :?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50 Years Asterix Jona Lendering 2 1,132 10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes