Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurions Paludamentum
Thanks for all the comments . Len has stated that the brooch is fastened with the pin going under the Phalerae strap , no mention of any other attachment to keep it in place on the shoulder so maybe the weight itself was the key .

Thanks all ,

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Julius,

The brooch is allowing it to be kept draped over the shoulder not its weight.

If you attribute the ability for the paludamentum to hang over the shoulder only by the weight, then you do not need anything to hold it.

Maybe, as an interesting experiment, try to drape the paludamentum over the shoulder without any ties or supports and carefully distribute the weight and see what happens.

Then try again with the brooch as Len has done.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Ive tried it with the brooch as Len has with the pin under the strap and that holds fine , it is freely draped over the shoulder and it seems to stay in place fine . So I think I will go with that for now .

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Well,

As I mentioned in my post, the brooch will do the job of anchoring the paludamentum in position allowing you to drape it over your shoulder.

My comment was simply will it behave the same way without a brooch.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I know where you are coming from but I tried it without the brooch and yes it stayed in place but I didnt have much confidence in it , you know what I mean Doc , it just didnt feel right .

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
I know what you mean. That was why I suggested trying both ways.

I think that if you were to keep your arm static then and your body movements were kept to a minimum, then not pinning it at all could work.

But I think once you start to move about more vigorously, then it may come off.

Paolo