Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SENSATION: Roman Battlefield from 200 AD in Germany found
Absolute sensational !

Salvete,

I found a report in the Internet, whereafter there has been found a new battlefield in Germany, Lower Saxony, at Northeim, from about the year 200 AD:

www.welt.de/wissenschaft/article2858588/Roemisches-Schlachtfeld-entdeckt.html

The German text says that this is already the second Roman find spot in Lower Saxony besides Hedemünden. Up to now Kalkriese (the assumed Varus-Battlefield) was said to be the only found Roman battlefield. The new find spot is called to be the best documented battle spot at all. There have been found up to now about 600 pieces (mostly weapons or parts of weapons) and shows that there must have been a great Roman campaign so far in Germany and so late (200 AD). The officials call it a find of the century, the precise find spot is yet secret, news will be released next monday at a press conference.

The article says, that the known history would have to be rewritten, because up to now there was absolute no information about Roman military operations so far in Germany in about 200 AD. The finds would suggest a fighting between Romans and Germans.

BTW: the photo in the press article refers to the Roman dagger found at Hedemünden recently (early first century AD) and is not from the new find spot.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Thanks Uwe for the link Confusedhock: ! This has been already announced here?:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=25118
Anyway this is REALLY interesting! My "roman passion" has been hibernating for a while but now I am awake again :wink: !!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
and another link with a video about the find spot (German language), the find spot is now called Kalefeld (by Northeim):

www.hna.de/hnavideosblock/00_20081210185028_Kalefeld_Antikes_Schlachtfeld_gefunden_.html

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Quote:Thanks Uwe for the link ! This has been already announced here?:
Anyway this is REALLY interesting! My "roman passion" has been hibernating for a while but now I am awake again !!!

Oh sorry, Virilis (and especially Simplex ! :oops: ), I didn't realize that it had been announced already- my apologies.
Greets - Uwe
Interesting, indeed! So, are they going to show us more than that mid-first century dagger? Odd thing to find on a site from 200 AD. Presumably there are coins to give a more solid date?

Thanks!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thats what I was thinking too. (about the pugio) Is there any posibility this is from the campaigns of Marcus Aurelius?

The video reminds me of the settingfrom Gladiator, I assume the poles are markers for finds?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Interesting, indeed! So, are they going to show us more than that mid-first century dagger? Odd thing to find on a site from 200 AD. Presumably there are coins to give a more solid date?

From the first post...
Quote:BTW: the photo in the press article refers to the Roman dagger found at Hedemünden recently (early first century AD) and is not from the new find spot.
Cheers Peronis.

Is there any mention of what finds there are and are they on display yet?This is interesting stuff, but oh so mysterious :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Thanks Uwe for the link ! This has been already announced here?:

Moderators, please close this (my) topic with reference to above topic of Simplex. I think we should concentrate all informations in one topic only and Simplex's was the first. IIRC Simplex is also living closer to the find area.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Hi Uwe,
.... mmmmh, Moers-Asberg and Heidelberg ?! :roll:
I think we couldn't exactly call it "Heidelberg is in the vicinity of Northeim" :wink:
The book-publishing business should be watched closely for publications, I think.
8)
Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany Simplex 274 77,193 09-14-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman medical service on the battlefield. Robert Vermaat 0 249 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Roman camp found in Germany jho 15 8,412 10-18-2021, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Simplex