Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany
News that I read on "Archaeonews"-blogspot.
(Referring hereto: [url:1380h3ap]http://www.hna.de/hptopnews/00_20081210131500_Sensationsfund_im_Landkreis_Northeim_Antikes_S.html[/url])
Excavations at Kalefeld near Northeim [northeast of Göttingen, that is]
([url:1380h3ap]http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&num=100&as_epq=Northeim&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images&q=%22Northeim%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image[/url])
seem to reveal a battleground from the 3rd Century A.D. between --- you may have already guesssed that --- Germans and Romans.
Quote: County Chief Archeologist Dr. Ptera Lönne says it's a "find of the century" in a European Context demonstrating that 200 years after the Varus Battle Roman Empereors still had maintained their capability of exercising military operations on a grand scale in the inner part of "Germania Libera" [ term used by me for clarification].
They have made about 600 finds including a major amount of weapons to prove this case. The excavations have taken place secretly during the recent past .

Greez

Siggi K.

Who ever shall find mistakes/misspellings therein is entitled to keep 'em. :wink:
Ed.: But always keep in mind: Thou shallst not misspell names
It's PETRA Lönne, of course. :wink:
Siggi K.
Wow Siggi Confusedhock: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Wow Siggi Confusedhock: !
Nothing to add to that: wow!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
More information on monday - unless there are more local politicians who can´t keep their mouth shut... :evil:
Marian
Are there any updates on the finds?
What artefacts did they find?

This is quite interesting.

Uwe and Virilis reminded me of it in another post, thanks.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
great! can't wait for a more accurate dating (some new equipment would be nice as well).

Ancient sources do mention several operations beyond the limes but I wouldn't have expected them to penetrate that deep in the 3rd century. I mean that spot is about 300km away from the next Roman boarder? (just a guess after a quick look at the map). Impressive!

Any hints as to which operation this could have been? early 3rd? middle? (quite unlikely because of the smaller forces used at that time I guess).

So who could have been there? Maximinus Thrax maybe? *excited*
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Dear fellow-enthusiasts :wink:
1.A "slight update"/followup (?) is to be found here:
link from old RAT
The headline could be translated this way:
"The detector just kept beeping"
It's context is mostly referring to Winfried Schütte from Westerhof and Rolf-Peter Dix from Kalefeld , who seems to have been the "original detectors" as far back as in 2000. Both then have collaborated with the County Chief Archeologists from Northeim and Göttingen and their fellow "clubmates" from the "Interessengemeinschaft Ostfalen" this summer.
2. We do have a parallel thread here. Look at :
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=25120
for additional informations and reference.
I think the scale of this affair clearly justifies it.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
How do they know it's 200 AD? Are they sure?
Where is that in Germany? Can you give me a town nearby so i can google the place?
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:Where is that in Germany? Can you give me a town nearby so i can google the place?

Quote:Excavations at Kalefeld near Northeim [northeast of Göttingen, that is]
([url:2xacgz6i]http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&num=100&as_epq=Northeim&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images&q=%22Northeim%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image[/url])

Big Grin
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Press conference on monday
Marian
That's too bad, Marian. I saw in the article that there are fears of looting. Hopefully it can be protected.

Well, I for one really envy you. That must have been wonderful to work on the site. We'll be waiting eagerly for the Monday press conference!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:
Severus:1xp8fbo9 Wrote:Where is that in Germany? Can you give me a town nearby so i can google the place?

Quote:Excavations at Kalefeld near Northeim [northeast of Göttingen, that is]
([url:1xp8fbo9]http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&num=100&as_epq=Northeim&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images&q=%22Northeim%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image[/url])

Big Grin

Thanks. Didn't noticed. :roll:
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Hi All,

I also came across this:

http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20081211-16075.html

Ancient Roman battlefield excavated in Lower Saxony

Published: 11 Dec 08 16:13 CET

Archaeologists have discovered an ancient roman battlefield from the third century near Göttingen that will rewrite history, Lower Saxony's department for preservation of historical monuments said on Thursday.

http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20081211-16075.html

“The find can be dated to the third century and will definitely change the historical perception of that time,â€
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video421876.html
Marian
Hi y'all ,
....seems inevitably to raise one question: "When EXACTLY ?!" :wink:

If I got all the statements right, they're are talking (amongst other things)about the Romans beieng the winner and leaving weapons on the battleground.
Sounds like a case of "Pyrrhean Victory" to me. :roll:

Thanks , Marian, for putting me one step further.

Simplex
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman medical service on the battlefield. Robert Vermaat 0 245 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Roman camp found in Germany jho 15 8,366 10-18-2021, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield Leoshenlong 18 2,712 05-07-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus