Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does a Lorica laminata weigh? Question on the Plumata
Can anyone tell me what the various types of segs (good quality) weigh?

What about the lorica plumata? how much protection does it provide? what does it weigh? [/i]
Quote:Can anyone tell me what the various types of segs (good quality) weigh?

You mean repros? Custom-made or off the shelf? Websites usually list that information, or you could ask the armorer. Sweeping generality, though, somewhere between 10 and 20 pounds, depending on the thickness of the metal and the size of the wearer. (And most of us call it a segmentata, by the way.)

Quote:What about the lorica plumata? how much protection does it provide?

Enough for the guys who wore it, like any other armor.

Quote:what does it weigh? [/i]

That's going to vary dramatically depending on ring thickness and diameter, and scale size and thickness. Very subtle variations can add up quickly!

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Marcus: "...now look at what I did...I got ahenway all over my tunic."
Lucius: "Huh? What's ahenway?"
Marcus: "Oh, about four or five pounds, usually."
Lucius reaches for his pugio....
Marcus exits hurriedly.

(don't kill me) :roll: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Uh :? I don't get it
Puns do escape some folks' notice, fortunately.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Oh OMG I'm sorry :oops: god I feel dumb :oops:
Thomas,

You may have to wait and get a response (maybe) from Erik D. Schmid who is currently reconstructing a lorica plumata for me. We do not have as of yet an idea to the total weight. Let's just say it is probably one of the heavier armors.

Plumata was probably not far superior to any of the Roman armors of its day but it was not inferior. Wearing a plumata made a statement about your status primarily. However, for protection, it had its shortcomings and advantages as all the rest.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Known specimens of lorica plumata martijn.wijnhoven 20 9,246 11-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: martijn.wijnhoven
  Leon Lorica Segmentata - Follow Up Question Vindex 12 3,822 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Nurglitch
  Lorica Plumata Article by Erik Schmid Doc 49 12,569 09-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius