Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reconstructing tiberius sword
Copy that Robert.

No problem.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Point taken Robert no problems.
Brian Stobbs
There is an interesting aspect about the Sword of Tiberius where it can become a matter for serious debate.
In the past Martin Henig of the Oxford Arcgaeological Studies Unit put forward his opinion that this sword commemorates a victory won by Tiberius over the Vindalssi in 15 BC, I think he may well have used the Amazon worrior shown at the bottom of the scabbard to indicate this.
It then creates a situation now where we would have to consider the upper decoration to be a picture of Avgvstvs seated, and the standing figure to be Tiberius handing the vitory to his Emperor.
The general concensus appears to be that the upper decoration shows Tiberius as Emperor with the standing figure being Germanicus handing a vitory to Tiberius. This of course creates a situation where we have a 30 year time difference between these opinions about this sword.
I consider that the later pieriod may be the correct one from the point of view of the shield that the Emperor has his arm resting on that says FELISITAS TIBERI. The reason for my consideration is that surely the Felicity would be aimed at the Emperor and the State, then there is also that the central medalion on this scabbard where if one studies Numismatics appears to look very much like Tiberius and not Avgvstvs.
I would like to know just how others might view this point about this sword.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sword of Tiberius a tribute to Brian Stobbs Charlie 9 3,032 07-13-2015, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Charlie
  tiberius sword plates munazio planco 9 2,663 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Sword of Tiberius Nathan Ross 5 3,328 10-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar