Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information on Roman Marines
Hi to all
I am a new comer with a rekindled inteest in the Legions. So please bear with my questions.Can anyonbe point me to information if any on the Roaman Marines.
I believe that they were non citizens the same as the ship crews .
They I believe had 25 year enlistments.Were their shields a blue colour.
Looking forward to a reply
cHEERS

Auxilary
Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum. Please enter your real (first) name in your signature, which can be found in your profile. It's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Graham,

I have found a few references to Roman Sailors in Osprey's Roman Military Clothing (2).

Other than the one picture and a few references in the text I cannot offer you any more help at the time.

If I find anything else, I will post it to the end of this.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Ave Graham,

Sailors were ranked far below legionaires and somewhat below auxiliiaries, as the navy was regarded as an inferior force. In the republic there was a distinction between rowers and marines, but this disappeared in the empire. The rowers and other crew members had to be soldiers as well, especially for boarding operations. After Actium there is no evidence I could find that the legions provided marines on a regular basis, probably because there was no necessity for heavily armed tropps to be on board permanently.

You might want to check these books:
The ancient Mariners,Seafarers and Sea fighters of the Mediterranean in Ancient Times by Casson,L.
A History of Seafaring in the Classical World by Meijer,F.
Mare Nostrum Les Infrastructures, le dispositif et l'historie de la marine militaire sous l'empire romainby Redde,M.
Tiberius Nemonius Agricola
Jeremy Brooks
Legio IX HISP Southern California
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Graham,

The Marines served 26 years not 25 (hence the presumption that they were inferior to Auxilaries). Although, since a couple of legions were actually elevated Roman Marine units and the Marines were a presence in all major Roman cities, that conclusion might be debated.

It was a blue/green color, described as matching the color of the sea. If memory serves the mention was in regard to their sails. I have never seen anything directly on the shield colors. This reference was also a third or fourth century reference so it might not apply to earlier periods. But it is all there is to go on.

In addition to the books already mentions I would suggest Mason’s Roman Britain and the Roman Navy.

Finally, there is actually a group in Britain that has a website on the Navy and the Marines.

http://www.classis-britannica.co.uk/sml/index.htm

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Marines and Citizenship M. Demetrius 4 1,861 08-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Roman Marines Anonymous 19 6,584 03-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Does anyone have information on Roman Marines? Maximus 3 1,525 09-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis