Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banners in Ancient Greece
Quote:μετέωρον ἐποίησεν ἐπίσημον φοινικου̂ν ἀπὸ τη̂ς ἰδίας νεώς,

Once again our operant flag word is ἐπίσημος having a mark on

In the Plutarch, it is σημει̂ον a sign, a mark, token

You can see the relationship between the words--the first is the root of the second with "epi"

Some other uses indicate that the word can have a variety of meanings (welcome to Classical Greek) but it seems ot keep "insignia" as a near-meaning most of the time. Interestingly, in Herod he uses it to describe totems and symbols on staffs. Perhaps "figure head" or "stem decoration" is spot on.

Not saying it couldn't refer to a flag--just that it is by no means definite. I'd be happier if we had a later use by someone (Polybius?) that tied this word to a "flag."
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Quote: but it seems ot keep "insignia" as a near-meaning most of the time.
.....just like our word 'ensign' derived from 'insignia'.
Ensign too originally meant;
"1. a signal...also a battle cry"
2,"..a sign or token"
3. " an emblem or badge" - only later being associated with 4. "heraldic bearings", and later still 5."...a naval or military standard"

....and could also be a verb ; " to en-sign: to mark with a distinctive sign or badge..." " to point out or indicate.."
(Shorter Oxford English dictionary on Historical Principles)

So the English is not so different to the Classical Greek after all....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:
Quote:μετέωρον ἐποίησεν ἐπίσημον φοινικου̂ν ἀπὸ τη̂ς ἰδίας νεώς,

Once again our operant flag word is ἐπίσημος having a mark on

In the Plutarch, it is σημει̂ον a sign, a mark, token

You can see the relationship between the words--the first is the root of the second with "epi"

Some other uses indicate that the word can have a variety of meanings (welcome to Classical Greek) but it seems ot keep "insignia" as a near-meaning most of the time.

Yes: I'd checked the Greek on Perseus for Diodorus and the LSJ gives that rendering ("sign" or "mark"). The verb is also used for "lifted up" or "raised" if I recall.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that it appears the first (Abydos) is different to the last (Cyzicus); the latter referring to a pre-arranged signal for a batle tactic. The former, where both sides are desperately wishing the new squadron their own, identifies the ships as Athenian. I can't see it as a leap into the unknown that such devises were used to differentiate ships.

There is another description - possibly in Hellenica though also possibly Thucydides - where a Spartan fleet is described as sailing near to an Ionic port. The residents, coming down thinking they are Athenian, react in utter surprise when, in some fashion, they identify them as Spartan. Can't remeber the passage though.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
This last account must be after a major Athenian defeat,perhaps just after Syracuse? and just when the Spartans had made their first fleet. However,the Spartans had made their first fleet before the Sicilian expedition. So the pasrt on Thucydides may be when Lysander first took control of the Spartan fleet. Sorry,I can't check it now.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:This last account must be after a major Athenian defeat,perhaps just after Syracuse?

I'm sure it's after Syracuse and before the war's end. It may well be at the time of the Euboean revolt when Athens was manning new ships with untrained crews: she had little presence in the seas off Ionia and her "allies" were increasingly in revolt. I will find it - if only for the fact that it annoys me!
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Persistence pays off. Thucydides, 8.28:

Quote:…Tissaphernes came up with his army and persuaded them (the Spartans) to sail to Iasus, which was held by his enemy Amorges. So they made a sudden attack on Iasus and took it, the inhabitants never imagining that the ships were not Athenian.

Which, given the frenetic activity about the area – Chios in revolt as well as Teos and others – and the operations of the Spartans and Acibiades (who’d sailed to Miletus to foster its rebellion), is quite intriguing. The inference is that no one ever expected to see any city’s ships – other than Athens’ – operating off Caria, Samos, Miletus and the Iasian Gulf. Unless these “inhabitantsâ€
Paralus|Michael Park

Academia.edu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient coins returned to Greece Justin I 0 1,115 08-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Justin I
  Video-Documentaries About Ancient Greece, Warfare&Technology Agesilaos 26 17,042 11-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Last Post: lucius Gellius cuniculus
  The Laws Of War In Ancient Greece Narukami 2 1,536 06-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Gulan