Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting a Scutum
I use a metal oil drum. You'll find that the plywood will bend and stay bent easier if you soak the wood for a few days first. I made a simple box from wood scraps, and put a piece of thick black plastic sheet inside, then fill it with water, and sink the board with a couple of bricks or rocks. Put in the sun, it will warm the water (assuming you have sun where you are) and become soaked quicker. It takes about three days for the wood to dry. Put it in a dry place, or put a lamp inside the barrel to add some heat.

Along the outer edges, be sure to put a board lengthwise, so the ratchet straps don't dig dents into the wood. When it's dry, they will remain there and be difficult to correct. Put the straps at the ridges of the barrel, and you will minimize that dent, though.

An oil drum is about 24" diameter (~60cm). Make the curved strips the same way, soaking them in the same tank. Cut more of them than you'll need, as some will break when you curve them. Curve them over the barrel in the spaces between the ridges, and you will get a slightly tighter bend. That's important, because it will all want to straighten out when it comes off the barrel. I suppose you could rig up a steamer for the wood, but use hardwood like ash, for example, as straight a grain as you can find. Pine works, but you'll lose about 40% of your strips to breakage.

Once it's all together, it will hold its curve, because the strips on the back will have a slightly different radius than the shield face. Geometry dictates that the two must both move for either to move, and it holds itself under tension. Some peened over or clenched small nails will hold the curved strips in place while the glue dries.

That's how I do them, though there are those who say that's not an accurate system. I agree, but it's what I do, nevertheless.

If you decide to go with the wood strips layed up like the originals, the whole technique is much different, and I can't really advise you on that.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Jyrki, nice Late Roman tunic. Do you have any others?

As for shields, some places sell blanks (FABRICA) that you can paint yourself.

Personally, what I did was pick up a Deepeeka scutum off of eBay, with very very favourable pricing and postage. Got the entire thing for under £60 brand-new Of course its Deepeeka, so you re-paint it and fix the umbo with rivets, not screws - but that's a sinch.

But you get the bent plywood board and the brass rim, and £60 is definately worth it for those two ifyou ask me!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Just ordered up my shield yesterday.. http://www.bueker-gmbh.de/pics/l/D53.jpg I think its the depekka one, I wanted to get one before an event i have at the end of this month so making one wasnt so practicable at the moment, but i still want to give making one a shot i think, need to do a bit of repainting to that shield, primarily painting it blue, but also doing the Legio IX bit... anyone got recommendations for paints to use to repaint this? not sure if there are certain paints to "avoid" incase of authenticity etc.
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
That one indeed is a deepeeka shield.

There are still a lot of discussion about the paint the Romans would have used. A lot op people choose for casein paint, as in the most authentic one.
ALA I BATAVORUM
jvrjenivs,

cheers for that, in terms of painting that particular shield do i have to do anything to prime it to paint ontop of whats already there?

Cheers matey Smile
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
if you want to do some parts in a light color, you have to, if the design is dark, I think it isn't nessecairy, but better to do anyway.
ALA I BATAVORUM