Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any thoughts on these?
I think I found the problem. I used to think the halves were front and back, but I was dumb. They are sides of the body. It seems that one of the leather straps inside the bad half of armor is either too stiff or too short. Or both. So the leather wont bend and therefore wont let the plates fold. I hate to say it but I may have to send it back and hope I get a better set by Halloween. Unless someone knows a better option?
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
That's why we've told you to read, then re-read Matt Amt's site. Trust us, all your questions can be answered there. 8)

Also, try oiling the leather with neatsfoot oil. And take pics if you can...

Legion: TBD
The helmet really does kindof suck. It's like a bucket on my head. I feel like a Spaceball (if you've watched the movie you know). My head doesnt fit into most hats and yet this thing seems too big. One of the cheek guards is floppy while the other is stiff, and there are a few rust spots. Doesnt look near as good as I thought it would. Someday it will be back on Ebay and I'll have a custom helm.
One quote of the site said "Caesar himself would be proud of the craftmanship of this helm", ya right.

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Often the internal leather straps are stiff enough that the armor stands up on its own, but after some wearing they get much more supple. Probably won't be a problem. If you put it together and put it on, and can bend more or less freely, it should be fine. Neatsfoot oil will help with some kinds of leather, but might not soak into a modern chrome-tanned waxed or oiled leather--no telling what the Indians may have used on your particular lorica! (Can't hurt, though.)

Likewise, inconsistencies like one floppy and one stiff cheekpiece are pretty common. Not a big deal.

Oh, I'd be inclined to chop the leather laces into 12" pieces, one for each pair of loops. Check this out:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/lorlace1.jpg

I always tie my laces to one loop, so they can't get lost. To lace the armor shut, stick one end of each lace through the opposite loop, pull tight, and tie a bow. Piece of cake.

Also, it should be pretty easy to tell front from back once it's assembled. But the front has 2 vertical straps to connect shoulder to body section (one left and one right), while the back has 4. I start by connecting the body halves together in the back, then attach each shoulder section, and buckle the rear horizontal strap. Then just put the lorica on like a jacket, with help from someone else if you need it. Then lace up the front and do the top horizontal buckle.

I hope it fits!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hey thanks for the tips, but I'm currently trying to negotiate sending the armor back for replacement. This area is so stiff it wont move whatsoever, and I think the strap is just pulled too tight. The good half of the armor has nice little folds in it to allow movement, while the other set seems pulled as tight as possible. If I can't send it back, then I'll have to try Neatsfoot oil (I hope I can find some easy). If I put it on right now and it didnt work, the supplier would never take it back. I'd be blamed for tampering with it.

Thanks though. Oh ya, I saw that you wrote the Leg XX handbook. Thank you so much, finding that online one day helped inspire me to get into this!
Big Grin

Carpe Dium
Any leather shop will have neatsfoot oil, or failing that, a shoe repair shop might have it.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Hey thanks for the tips, but I'm currently trying to negotiate sending the armor back for replacement. This area is so stiff it wont move whatsoever, and I think the strap is just pulled too tight. The good half of the armor has nice little folds in it to allow movement, while the other set seems pulled as tight as possible. If I can't send it back, then I'll have to try Neatsfoot oil (I hope I can find some easy). If I put it on right now and it didnt work, the supplier would never take it back. I'd be blamed for tampering with it.

Big Grin

When you say the straps have neat little folds, are you talking about between each of the horizontal torso plates?
I can't be sure if you mean what I think you mean, but if there is too much slack in the straps, the plates will eventually sag and hang at all sorts of intervals, possibly leaving open gaps between plates.
Perhaps I am off course here ,but that would be more of a reason to return it I think, than the tighter straps. :?

Or you could replace the straps. Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh ya, it's straps on the inside of the armor that hold the plates together. They are supposed to bend so the plates can fold and allow movement. One half of the torso has at least one strap that is pulled way too tight and feels like rawhide. So this half of armor sticks up tilted at an angle, and it wont bend even with force...(I dont want to risk breaking it though)

Carpe Dium
Yeah, that sounds a bit odd.

Best get a refund and go to Rusty's site. He has a great selection of equipment to choose from, and it is pretty good stuff.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Not sure who Rusty is :lol: Uh, a website name maybe?

Carpe Dium
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewforum.php?f=30

Check this out! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Not sure who Rusty is :lol: Uh, a website name maybe?

www.soulofthewarrior.com
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hey thanks guys

Carpe Dium