Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any thoughts on these?
I hope that copying shortcuts send a link to these ebay items I bought recently. The first is the helmet, the second is lorica segmentata. let me know if they seem to be of any kind of quality. thanks.
Helmet
Lorica
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Don't go near the helmet. It's the infamous "Trooper" helm, and is usually seen as one step above a plastic fancy dress plastic piece. Also known as a target for ballista practice :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
What's wrong with it exactly? The only thing I see different from the really good ones is that I don't see any chin straps. It is made out of good steel as far as I know. Plus...I already bought the thing and am waiting for it to arrive. It was expensive, but less so than reccomended brands like deepeeka.
Is the lorica at least decent? It's made by IOTC armory in India (sounds scary). It has good reviews from previous buyers though.
If only I was rich or had alot of powertools :evil: Tongue

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Quote:What's wrong with it exactly? The only thing I see different from the really good ones is that I don't see any chin straps. It is made out of good steel as far as I know. Plus...I already bought the thing and am waiting for it to arrive. It was expensive, but less so than reccomended brands like deepeeka.
Is the lorica at least decent? It's made by IOTC armory in India (sounds scary). It has good reviews from previous buyers though.
If only I was rich or had alot of powertools :evil: Tongue

Read the comments on the Legio XX website:

Quote:First off, the infamous "Trooper's Helmet", invented by Windlass Steelcraft and copied by every Asian and Pacific junk factory since. The eyebrows meet in the middle, and are soldered on. The neckguard is domed (rather than flat or sloped), and lacks its steps. The ridges across the back of the skull are too large and rounded. Cheekpieces are too domed, and lack proper raised panels; hinges welded to edge of bowl rather than riveted inside. Brow reinforce should be either flat and thick, or thin with turned-down front edge, not both. Earguards too narrow. Bosses at sides are not in right place for cheekpiece hinge rivets. Crest is too narrow, should not have built-in post, and improperly mounted. Hair might not be well-secured. Comes in transverse crest style, as well, or with brass eyebrows, etc.

Join the Crusade to abolish these things from reenacting!

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/bad.html
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Do you realy wanna know what is all wrong with that helmet? Most important error is the ugly angled neckplate.

On the segmentata: check this topic where we already discussed that one, and it also is crap.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:What's wrong with it exactly? The only thing I see different from the really good ones is that I don't see any chin straps. It is made out of good steel as far as I know. Plus...I already bought the thing and am waiting for it to arrive. It was expensive, but less so than reccomended brands like deepeeka.

Compared to anything Hollywood has used, it's spectacular. But by serious reenacting standards, it's a total loss. It can't even be converted to something useful without a lot of skilled work. And compared to getting a decent helmet custom-made, Deepeeka helmets are dirt cheap! Sorry, it's just what this hobby costs. If you want a helmet that you can use for reenactments and living history, I'd recommend sending this one back as soon as it arrives, and saving up for a good one.

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/helmets.html

With more experience, you'll be able to spot the "trooper" variants a mile away.

Quote:Is the lorica at least decent?

I've seen worse, but I wouldn't recommend this one. Looks like it has the right plates, about the right size and shape, but that's actually a view of the back, and those four strap and buckle attachments should be on the INside. Modern roller buckles. The main lobed hinges are clearly made in ony one layer, you can tell by the way the hinge tube sticks up--real Roman hinges are folded to make a double layer, so that tube does not stick up like that.

Quote:It's made by IOTC armory in India (sounds scary). It has good reviews from previous buyers though.

Most Indian manufacturers make junk, or not-so-good copies of other companies' stuff, but a couple make some very acceptable gear. Deepeeka and Daniyal, so far (and not EVERYthing they make is good, by the way!). And MOST buyers either don't know or don't care about the details of historical accuracy, so their good reviews only have to do with customer service and what *they* feel to be an acceptable product. Doesn't mean it's authentic in any way.

Quote:If only I was rich or had alot of powertools :evil: Tongue

You don't need any power tools to make a lorica!

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/lorica.html

Scrap steel, a little bit of leather, some hobby brass, and about 12 bucks worth of rivets. There are several excellent tutorials around, as well as my site. If you go with buying one, Deepeeka's and Daniyal's are both decent, the major worry being how well it will fit you.

In general, I recommend staying away from ebay, unless you REALLY know what you are looking at. There are perfectly good vendors there, but they generally have no idea how accurate their products are. You can get better advice here on RAT, and the Marketplace section has subsections for several of our most reliable (and knowledgeable) suppliers.

Good luck and Vale,

Matthew

PS: Before a moderator mentions it, forum rules require your real name in your signature.
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hey thanks for all the help guys. I'll come to you for advice from now on before I buy anything Roman. The problem is that I bought this armor for Halloween. I'm sure you can all agree it makes a sweet costume when everyone else is content to dress up as a ghost or something. These really are cheap though compared to the good stuff I've researched. I've used the Leg.XX handbook to get directions on lorica and find that I dont have the tools to cut the metal,bend the metal, or anything. Leather is amazingly expensive too. The only leather supplier near me with good stock wont cut the leather for you, it's a whole hide or nothing. Same with the metal, you have to buy a $70 plate of steel or nothing. I've had to order regular leather sandals for my costume because I cant afford the leather to make caligae. But yes, I think I will be saving up for some real armor to buy someday. A custom sized helmet would be great (hats dont fit me)

Thanks you all for your input, though it just means I will need to spend more money if I want to get anything good Sad

Can I ask questions about medieval armor on here too, or just purely Roman?

Carpe Dium
Always ask before you buy. If you looked at Legio XX's site, youd see that helmet was an immediate red flag. This stuff can get very expensive, always hit up the proper areas before buying, you will find a large wealth of info and intelligence here so you are now in the right hands.

For a Halloween costume that stuff will be excellent and as far as H-Costumes go you will be the most authentic. Just dont bring that helmet to a re-enactment event where authenticity is judged, they will be merciless.
AKA Travis S.
What do you think?

Lot's of IFs...

IF you can get a trooper helmet for under $30

IF you have the necessary tools

IF you have the skill

...the trooper can be converted

A set of helmet halves costs about $30 and you need to weld them together.

The rest of the trooper can be recut , reshaped and maybe rewelded

Maybe make a passable IMP IT C or D or G
... a simple basic helmet or one with little or no "fluting", add a few brass appliques..?
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Good advice, thank you. I just wish that for the same price of materials, someone would offer well made armor and weapons for a cost proportional to what they actually pay for labor and materials. The stuff I'm buying is hand made from decent materials, but all I hear wrong with it is that it was just not made correct to history. Hopefully that made sense...
Anyways, thank you all. I'm sure this will be a great Halloween, but I will be saving money for proper equipment to purchase in the future (though mom thinks im stupid)

Carpe Dium
Quote:What do you think?

Lot's of IFs...

IF you can get a trooper helmet for under $30

IF you have the necessary tools

IF you have the skill

...the trooper can be converted

A set of helmet halves costs about $30 and you need to weld them together.

The rest of the trooper can be recut , reshaped and maybe rewelded

Maybe make a passable IMP IT C or D or G
... a simple basic helmet or one with little or no "fluting", add a few brass appliques..?

Cost me about $50 for this helm Sad
I've never welded in my life, my grandpa knows how but I know he wont take the time. Any pages on helmet conversion?

Carpe Dium
Quote:Cost me about $50 for this helm Sad

The link in your first post tells USD 29 including shipping... Anyway, I i could get this helmet for that price here in europe (to use the bowl for other projects) I would be more than happy. But that's still much less than the DSC or Deepeeka helmets, and much, much, much less than a custom made one.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi Jared,

If supplies are going to be a logistical problem, then there are many great companies that sell good quality authentic gear which you can find on the Legio XX site.

You can also find actual suppliers that may be cheaper than your local ones, by ordering online.

Legion: TBD
You can also find actual suppliers that may be cheaper than your local ones, by ordering online. Magnus

or join a local/regional/national club!

Most can help you get equipped at cost!
Many have wholesale price access to suppliers !

Nothing lonelier than one Roman soldier!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Ya, well I live in a pretty tiny town. I dont think there is a Roman re-enactment group in my whole state.

Carpe Dium