Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican Equipment
Hans Binsfeld does a couple of late Republican pugio types, although in the Titelberg is in the wrong metal! and the Dangstetten should have four suspension points. That said, I would choose the Dangstetten dagger and just add the missing parts myself.
http://www.binsfeld-replikate.de/pugio.htm

Ideally though a pugio of the Hispanic type with a frame sheath and round grip terminal expansion would be more accurate for the earlier Republic.
[Image: Spanish.jpg]
[Image: cuchillodoblegoblular4.jpg]
[Image: cuchillodobleglobular3.jpg]
The one on the right looks like the ticket!
Any chance of more pictures and dimensions on that one Ade?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ok ! Cheers Peroni i want to set my impression in spain 260-140BC ish, Yes Spanish style Dagger More info please if you can .

Is getting the new Deepeeka pilum Ok ,

Also I want to have made The light Pila head from the Renieblas camp III site in Spain , Illustration. 2 , & the spear head Ill. 6 & butt Ill. 10. as shown on Republican plate in Bishop & Coulston R.M.E .

& would replacing the Hamata hook with a leather strap be better ,using the original buttons .am wanting one of these,also cheers
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
If you want more information about iberian daggers, please wait a few months for the release of a new volum of Gladius, that will be readable "on-line", as all past numbers in: http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.php/gladius/index
thank you, yes indeed lots of great research going on Big Grin
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Quote:Is getting the new Deepeeka pilum Ok ,

I would probably go for the Deepeeka socketed pilum over the new one for this period. Pila vary a great deal, but looking at Weapons of the Romans by Feugere, the shafts seem to be quite short for the tanged type.
the deepeeka socketed pilum AH3527 looks quite heavy, so would it be Ok for the heavy pilum of the period & have made the lighter one as shown in the B&C R.M.E. Republican plate for longer range . am i correct :? & when would you date their new AH3526N type ,1st. cent AD . design. ?
Hi Andy,

must have totally overlooked this thread :oops:
nice kit and good work with the Comacchio bag there!

Quote:nice kit andy , when was the bag introduced 2nd c. BC & not standard issue were they?

With bags, we know very little. This one is dated Augustean. FYI, I once posted an overview of pouches/purses/leather bags here
Quote:I would probably go for the Deepeeka socketed pilum over the new one for this period. Pila vary a great deal, but looking at Weapons of the Romans by Feugere, the shafts seem to be quite short for the tanged type.

I do not know anything about Depeeka products but Republican tanged pila could have fairly long shafts, see plate 5-7 of the publication on the pila from

Smihel

dated around 200 BC.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany