Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican Equipment
Comacchio bag, thank you Martin Big Grin
[Image: P9300378.jpg]
Contents (bone needles, bone die, leather die cup, horn cup, bowl, spoon, knife...based on a 1st Century folding blade, cupid...based on miniature Comacchio shipwreck temples)
[Image: P9300382.jpg]
Fayum shield, still in construction. Needing to do back and over lapped edging.
[Image: P9300380.jpg]
What's the dimensions of that shield? Looks like a nicely shaped scutum!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A little less than the fayum, I couldn't buy plywood that size so had to loose a few centimeters in height. Sad
OK, well, how about the hand hole on the back of the boss? Could you send up a photo with maybe a measuring stick somewhere? I'm interested in making one sort of like that, though with a smaller "barleycorn", and a tapered spine.

Did you glue up several boards and sand them down, or make the "boss" with one single piece of wood?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
nice kit andy , when was the bag introduced 2nd c. BC & not standard issue were they?, did you produce the contents youself .top job if so. Big Grin
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Yes I made all the contents. The knife is based on a blade find from the 1st Century AD, bu I have later found it was a folding knife blade!
Not sure about the bags use, but the site on the ship wreck can be found here http://www2.rgzm.de/navis/home/..%5CShi ... oWreck.htm

There are a few threads on the forum on this ship wreck, and in particular this bag and reconstructions of it. Martin Moser has a how-to which I followed and used to construct mine, with slight differences.

I will post some more of my republican items here when I get around to it.
here is the original shield picture I had to base my shield from, any body have a large sized image?
[Image: pic_shield35_s.jpg]
Depeeka helm (has been slightly modified too fit th head more comfortably and the varnish removed)
[Image: P9300381_edited.jpg]
that helm came up a treat ,old or new model deepeeka ?. & what did you strip the varnish with ? thinners.
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Great helmet and kit bag Andy!!!They look great Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Laudes deserved methinks!!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Thanks all,
The helmet I just stripped the varnish using a scotch bright scouring pad, and rubbed off the varnish. I think it's the old depeeka helm, and I had to reshaped it slightly to make it fit the head more comfortably. Its a snug fit but I'm very happy with the feel. The cheek guards were very off alignment and required bending to fix, and I have lined the whole inner with felt. I plan to remove the cheek plate strap pegs with something less machine made.

David, I will get a picture up of the rear of the shield for you ASAP. Its just three sheets of ply, and the mould was bricks! Two rows either side with heaps of bricks on top. The curve in the shield is nice and deep while very even.
[Image: P9060317.jpg]
cheers Andy , me thinks i'll get a new N sreise brass montifortino from Esford & do a buff job ( manning gear a long way off Sad D regards dave.
Barcid,

If you want to make a republican impresion, probably the deepeeka pugio is "no period". For that period, looking the pugiones availables at the market, probably the best choice is not wearing pugio.

It's my opinion...

Andy,

You have made a quite good equipment. Now, you have to add some pictures of the whole impresion. Nice work!
Nice work Andy! 8)
Manuel Peters
That improves the helmet appearance greatly. I hope you dont mind if I copy that ....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: I think it's the old depeeka helm

No Andy, that's the new N series helmet! Big Grin
thank you Lucius Big Grin , No pugio then .personal knife in mess kit only .