Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman sites in Germany?
Hi folks!

First post here, and durn glad to have found kindred souls. I open my attendance to this forum with a question...

Just returned to Germany and am looking forward to visiting many Roman sites during my stay here. Already been to Rome, and recently visited the Saalburg fort.

Next stop (hopefully) is to be the Teutoburg Forest (Kalkriese Hill aiui is the accepted site for the fight. Am i wrong?). I found a website to the park and museum, but the museum looks a little sparse. Is it worth a trip up to see the site? It seems there are trails and whatnot to walk, but are there things to see?

What is the state of the grounds? Could i take a copy of Tacitus and walk with book in hand while painting the picture from his words, getting a feel for the ebb and flow of events?

Any advice would be welcome.

Additionally, any other "off the beaten path" roman sites worth a look in western Germany? I am familiar with the large cities and their heritage. What i am looking for are smaller, less well known places where one can day trip and walk the ground so to speak. With book in hand, getting a good feel for the time, be it battlefield or encampment.

I had a wonderful time at the Saalburg fort as it is very well maintained and presented decent artifacts to the observer.

So whats out there? I figure if anyone would know...it'd be ya'll.

Thanks in advance!

Galloglass
Timothy
Hi!
It is a forum rule that you put your real name into your signature. You can find a link to the forum rules in my signature below.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Next stop (hopefully) is to be the Teutoburg Forest (Kalkriese Hill aiui is the accepted site for the fight. Am i wrong?).
No, you are right. There are some local patriots who believe it to be in their garden, but most people agree that Kalriese is the location of at least one of the major fights. Personally, I think it is even the main site, as can be deduced from the distribution of finds, which are along two lines, one from the east to the northwest, one from the east to the west - indicating that the army redirected itself after an attack, and decided not to move to the Chauci, but to Engter and -ultimately- Haltern (more...).
[Image: kalkriese_map.gif]
Quote:It seems there are trails and whatnot to walk, but are there things to see?
There are finds in the museum, and the ancient landscape has been reconstructed. It is a bit disappointing. You will find Haltern far more interesting.

Other German sites you shouldn't miss: the museums of Mainz, Trier, Cologne, Xanten, the Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn, and the current exposition in the Bundeskunsthalle in Bonn. Photography not permitted :evil:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Where are you staying in Germany, in which city?

Kalkrise is not the best museum, for found links.
My personal favorite is Gellep: http://www.archaeologie-krefeld.de/
Not for walking old sites, but for a changeful history and founding links.
Another place to visit is Xanten http://www.apx.de/ already with a lot of new buildings and historical park for walking.
This is for the northwest of germany.
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
Hi Galloglass,
...maybe this could be of interest to you :

link from old RAT
Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
You may want to look at this site as well:

http://www.limesprojekt.de/limes1a.htm

That is, if you are into the Limes, remnants and reconstructions.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
If you have an interest in the Teutoburg Forest and the Varus disaster of 9 AD, I recommend that you read "The quest for the Lost Roman Legions - Discovering the Varus Battlefield." By Tony Clunn. Maj Clunn was a British Army officer stationed in the area who is credited with discovering the battle site. His book tells the story of his discovery, and adds a fictional account of how the battle may have developed. I think it's a good read.

BTW, I've also really enjoyed Saalburg. I also enjoyed just walking the Limes around that area to eye the terrain.
Robert Reeves

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sites in the Cotswolds Purplest 9 4,168 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  Roman sites along the Danube Jona Lendering 28 7,258 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Arahne
  Roman Military sites Oct 11 3,030 06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Longovicium