Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC\'s Merlin
Quote:
Viventius:353v3yhx Wrote:I did have a bonkers idea of sending a paperback copy of Sword at Sunset to Peter Jackson (he of Lord of the Rings) to see if he could supply his vision and understanding to the subject. But I am unsure of his address. Ah, I can only dream 8)

Oooh, not one of Mr Whyte's offerings?

Whyte? Fy Matt, you should know your classics better than that. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Whyte? Fy Matt, you should know your classics better than that. :wink:

Eh? I know Sword at Sunset is Sutcliff. :roll:

Private joke; Viventia and I have a history you know? Did I ever tell you that she once put something VERY unpleasant in my mouth? :wink:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
OK. After a couple of weeks I've had chance to ... calm down. And I thought, look, Mallory simply rewrote amorphous myths to fit the culture and mores of his own era.

BBC's Merlin is exactly that, the Arthur story told through the lens of the modern era. Because, frankly, if the stories don't mean anything to the audience, then what is the point? And switching the names around will make it a bit more interesting for those who do know the stories down pat.

But still, saying that, I think the BBC caved in to some politically correct faction of the corporation when they hired asian, oriental and black actors to fill out the staff and courtiers of Camelot.

At my school, we do teach the children that truly multicultural Britain occured in the 1950s ... not 550s, however astonishing that may seem to them.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Well its not as bad as Bonekickers.

Its a bit like an old hammer film with a modern BBC spin.**** but what do you expect from a broadcaster who makes less than a dozen good things a year.
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Quote:Thanks for Jackson's address Robert :lol:

I'm not sure Comitatus will allow me in the arena in a bath chair ( http://www.cityofbath.co.uk/history/body_bathchair.html ), but I can give it a go :wink:

We could carry you out on a shield :lol:
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]