Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC\'s Merlin
OK. Forget the magic, its a sub-Romano setting, obviously produced with a Mallory full-Medieval eye to the sets, etc.

But why? WHY? WHY? Why make it a place totally without class distinctions, and make it a modern cosmopolitan ethnically diverse place, with a whiny teenager as a hero.

It is Robin Hood (the BBC drama) with a touch of magic, with all the shudders and spasms that entails.

Pray, stick with Excalibur or Sam Neill's Merlin.

I cannot type any further, as I've managed to just gouge out my right eye as well as my left.

Smile )
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Darn, I thought you meant Merlin as in the small Falcon (Falco columbarius)

and certainly not talking about the Rolls Royce inline aviation engine...

sorry feeling a little nerdy there Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:I cannot type any further, as I've managed to just gouge out my right eye as well as my left.
Of course you can, you said nothing about cutting off your fingers! 8)

That bad eh? Images?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Nah, Robin Hoodie was far worse! I haven't seen an extra wearing a basket on her head in Merlin (yet ...)

The setting of BBC 1's Merlin is faux medieval. There are dragons and magic in it, so it's clearly marked as fantasy, which is why I can just about stand it. Oh and Arthur is portrayed as a silly ar*e which goes down really well in this household for some strange reason :roll:

There's an article on it here, complete with a pic:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... feat20.xml

Anyway, young Merlin has been done before; does anyone remember The Boy Merlin on ITV sometime in the late 1970s? That had a Dark Age setting. Strangely, the 1970s was quite a golden age for Arthur/Arthur-related material with getting on for authentic-settings on the tv.

But I've seen so many cr*ppy versions of Dark Age stuff that I no longer get het up about it (haven't got the energy at my age). Instead I am becoming resigned to not seeing a real attempt at an authentic 5th century setting on film before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I did have a bonkers idea of sending a paperback copy of Sword at Sunset to Peter Jackson (he of Lord of the Rings) to see if he could supply his vision and understanding to the subject. But I am unsure of his address. Ah, I can only dream 8)
Hi Sandra

Quote:I am becoming resigned to not seeing a real attempt at an authentic 5th century setting on film before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

You should watch 'Arthur of the Britons' made in the 70's now available again on DVD via Amazon.

Although surely you must have seen 'King Arthur', with Clive Owen. That was the true story set at the end of Roman Britain based on the very latest archaeological evidence because it said so at the beginning of the film! :wink:

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Have you seen this: antoninuspius.blogspot.com (on Arthur)
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:You should watch 'Arthur of the Britons' made in the 70's now available again on DVD via Amazon.

Yes, I saw it the first time round (i.e 1970s) , and I own the DVD already thank you 8)

Even that's not authentic artefact wise - me eyes winced a bit on 2nd viewing, with the dubious benefit of 25 years of archaeology behind me. But, in setting and spirit it comes the closest by miles. Safe to say, the 1970s were a golden era for the portrayal of the Dark Ages. In fact the 1970s were a sort of Dark Age anyway, so they were drawing on actual close knowledge Big Grin

Nope, I'm still waiting for something spot on, and the ludicrous King Arthur film set an all time low, which is why I'm worried about kicking the bucket before anything 'proper' appears.
Hello Sandra

I was just wondering if you were aware that the DVD was now available as you had not mentioned it. I have not got round to getting it yet myself but it is on my list. So I am pleased to hear you still, sort of, think it is worthwhile.

Charles is back in North Wales and is back in a group he helped found called Samhain Cymru, now re-enacting the Glyndwr period. If you want I will email a picture.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Didn't really think this was the place to be mentioning Arthur of the Brits, so wasn't going to talk about it unless someone else did first :lol:

The DVD's well worth getting. There's some cracking (and no doubt health and safety contravening these days) horse riding, great interplay between characters on occasion and I can see why it made such an impression on me as a youngster. Just don't mention the fuzzy wuzzy Picts ... Confusedhock: It's a children's programme of its time, is all.

Shame Charles hasn't gone into 5th century stuff, as I'm sure we'd come across each otherwise whilst re-enacting or MOPing. Do email a pic please. Don't suppose he's likely to turn out for the Chester Roman Show?
Hi Sandra,

Quote: But I've seen so many cr*ppy versions of Dark Age stuff that I no longer get het up about it (haven't got the energy at my age).
Pfah! You're just 3 years older than I am! Big Grin But I know what you mean...

Quote:Instead I am becoming resigned to not seeing a real attempt at an authentic 5th century setting on film before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
Hmm. I fear we'd have to do it ourselves first...

Quote:I did have a bonkers idea of sending a paperback copy of Sword at Sunset to Peter Jackson (he of Lord of the Rings) to see if he could supply his vision and understanding to the subject. But I am unsure of his address. Ah, I can only dream 8)
But what a dream! The BEST Arthurian novel ever written....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Rober unwisely said:
Quote:Pfah! You're just 3 years older than I am! But I know what you mean...

Just wait till you're 47 then see what you think :wink: I'd just think it was my defective genes except my partner, two years older than me, is definitely finding his weekly footie sessions hard going now too. And as for after re-enactment shows ... Mind you, Comitatus does hourly and lively arena shows!

But back to Merlin - if anyone knows what address to contact Peter Jackson at, please tell me Confusedhock:
Quote:Just wait till you're 47 then see what you think :wink:
But back to Merlin - if anyone knows what address to contact Peter Jackson at, please tell me Confusedhock:
Oh, I feel my legs each evening already! Cry We need chairs.

Peter Jackson's address: http://www.fanmail.biz/2972.html

Fan Mail Address:

Peter Jackson
Wingnut Films, Ltd.
P.O. Box 15-208
Miramar
Wellington 6243
New Zealand

Address Information:

Wingnut Films, Ltd.
(Production Company)
P.O. Box 15-208
Miramar
Wellington 6243
New Zealand
Phone: +64 (0)4 388-9939
Fax: +64 (0)4 388-9449
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I did have a bonkers idea of sending a paperback copy of Sword at Sunset to Peter Jackson (he of Lord of the Rings) to see if he could supply his vision and understanding to the subject. But I am unsure of his address. Ah, I can only dream 8)

Oooh, not one of Mr Whyte's offerings? They'll hunt you down, mudwhoppet. :wink:

The new Beeb Merlin's fine. Not brilliant, not a classic but harmless enough. It's a fantasy based on a fantasy based on a fantasy etc etc so does it really matter what they look like or how the society operates? It's not 'That bloody film' which has become the yardstick by which I measure such things and, as such, it could have been worse.

On an aside...why can you get something like Arthur of the Britons (which I do enjoy but is a decidedly guilty pleasure) but not 'Eagle of the Ninth'? :evil:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
No comment on Whyte, Medicus. Glad we are in agreement over Merlin :lol:

The Beeb's Eagle of the Ninth from the 70s was good, so yeah, why can't we have that as well?! There was a clip of it on BBC4 in a 'Romans on tv' programme a while back - perhaps they have the whole tape somewhere? There are annual rumours of a film being made of the book, but it's best not to hold yer breath on that. I've got a taped radio serial of it, but it suffers from 'owl overload' - every time it's a night scene an owl (the same owl) hoots 8) Very distracting.
Thanks for Jackson's address Robert :lol:

I'm not sure Comitatus will allow me in the arena in a bath chair ( http://www.cityofbath.co.uk/history/body_bathchair.html ), but I can give it a go :wink: