Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible the Arabs used Greek Fire?
Ave
The reason I ask is because there was a poem written by Theodosius Grammaticus celebrating the Byzantine repulse of the Arab fleet that attacked Constantinople in 674 C.E. in which he mentions something to that effect. The poem is rather long but the relevant portion is this one:

Where are the twin decked, fire throwing ships, and again, the single decked ships, also swift in the battle step?

That single line seems to indicate that the Arabs may have used a form of Greek Fire, which was, after all, invented by a refugee from Baalbek in Lebanon. Any thoughts?
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
Hi,

Yes, the Moslem world eventually learned to use petrolium-based incindiaries, and used them enthusiastically (even things like one-man flamethrowers and clay 'grenades'). The Arabic word for them is something like "naptha." I'm not sure when different Moslem powers started to use it, but David Niccole's works would probably be an accessable source.

Sean
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Thanks for that info, Sean. I'll look up David Niccole. Yes, I believe the Arabic word is nafta or something similar. I'm rather surprised they had it so early on. That particular attack on Constantinople was carried out in the very early years of the Umayyad dynasty.

Imad
Imad
Various flammable substances were used by different peoples at different times, but supposedly Greek fire had some rather special qualities, like the delivery mechanism, burning on water and sticking to targets. I've never heard of any other group using this particular substance, but anything is possible.

Just out of curiousity, how sure are you of the subject of that line? That single line doesn't say if they are Greek ships or Arab ships. I assume that in the larger context it is clear that he is speaking about Arab ships?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Various flammable substances were used by different peoples at different times, but supposedly Greek fire had some rather special qualities, like the delivery mechanism, burning on water and sticking to targets. I've never heard of any other group using this particular substance, but anything is possible.

Just out of curiousity, how sure are you of the subject of that line? That single line doesn't say if they are Greek ships or Arab ships. I assume that in the larger context it is clear that he is speaking about Arab ships?
Precisely, in the larger context you realise he is speaking about the Arabs. He is basically taunting them and brings up several points, one of them being that their fire-throwing ships availed them nothing against the will of God.

Imad
Imad
I think that what he meant was "Where are your fire-shooting ships?" as opposed to the Greek ships which were pumping naptha onto the hapless Arabs. Big Grin

There's been quite a bit of speculation on how old Greek Fire actually is. It could date back to earlier centuries AD, but it was always produced in the Lavant and Mid East, localities that contained natural pools of naptha (much like crude oil). It was mixed with sulpher and sawdust, I think, and might go back to the era of Constantine. (Supposedly, he developed a fleet of manouverable dromons which may have had a flame-throwing pump on their foredeck.) Even earlier, it appears that Zenobia's defenders of Palmyra tossed burning naptha onto the Romans. Confusedhock:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
The Greeks were using a flame thrower of sorts in the BC, long before. I would imagine the flame pumped through would not have been
from a wood fire, but of some naptha substance. I can't recall the exact details, but I think it was a Beoetian device?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Salve, Gaius

That's what I thought. It was fairly early and an actual predecessor of the Vietnam Era flamethrower, not the one used in WWII which used kerosene. Not sure why it went out of favor, possibly too difficult to keep in repair. I suppose there may have been a moral reason, but I doubt it. :roll:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

I seem to recall an illustration in Connelly's Greece and Rome at War. It looked large and unweildly, probably only usefull in seiges for burning down a gate rapidly? And also stopping a sally through the gate at the same time possibly!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I seem to recall an illustration in Connelly's Greece and Rome at War. It looked large and unweildly, probably only usefull in seiges for burning down a gate rapidly? And also stopping a sally through the gate at the same time possibly!

A couple of years ago (actually maybe six or seven), one of the "history" TV shows did a reenactment of the more mobile version, even built with leather gaskets. The thing was awesome! Even had to wear fireproof suits just in case they set themselves on fire. They placed a sailboat as the target, and kapow!-- the boat went up like a it was hit with napalm... which is more or less what the Romans' naptha-sulphur-pine resin misture was. Big Grin
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arabs, Persians and Ethiopians, 6thC Druzhina 0 1,803 07-17-2016, 04:50 AM
Last Post: Druzhina
  Arabs Vs Assyrian Illustration JP Vieira 14 5,301 07-15-2007, 06:11 PM