Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Days Sept 26-28, northern Virginia
I was thrilled to be able to participate in Roman Days despite the major move in date and location.

I was not thrilled with the parking situation. yes, we had passes, and luckily I was able to find a spot - looks like nearly everyone else did but poor John Ebel on Friday ~ it seems like college campuses seem to have this issue with too many cars, never enough spaces. (always a problem with my alma mater) Although hopefully by next year the parking deck in construction will be completed and we'll have easier access.

all in all, I think this blew the socks off of many people. (and certainly blew the flip-flop off one student - Nice work, Randi!) Everyone on the planning board did an astonishing job of organizing everything.

It was great to see everyone, met some new people too.

I do indeed hope GMU will help make next year's RD something to envy.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
i'm sorry i missed it, even if i could have gone, it would have started out badly because for some stupid reason my husband's job decided not to pay him until Saturday.. AFTER he complained at them. :evil: \\

Thank you SO much for posting pics though!
Sean was nice enough to let me use his digital Nikon (nice camera!) in addition to my own camera so the pictures Richard posted the link to are actually only half the pictures I took. Being a Thracian barbarian and all, I am not as high tech as the Romans, so everyone will have to wait until I get the film developed to see the pictures I took with my camera.

One amusing thing about the pictures in that link: if you go through the ones toward the end where the formation is charging the crowd you can see that at least two of the legionaries sort of "locked on" to me as they charged. :lol:
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
did Romans always look so happy while charging at their enemies? :lol:
Quote:did Romans always look so happy while charging at their enemies? :lol:

Apparently they do when their enemy is bedecked in barbaric splendor, has dashing good looks, and has a witty and charming personality...

...oh...and is also pointing camera at them...
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
ahh i see now, :wink: Jealous Rancor as usual lol
Here as promised are the additional photos from Roman Days:

Dan's Roman Days Photos, Saturday, Round 2

I meant to shoot 3 rolls of color and 1 roll of black and white because I'm all artistic and creative like that, but accidentally brought 2 rolls of each. I was rather annoyed about it at the time.
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
No worries, Dan, they all turned out really well!

Legion: TBD
Thanks!
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
As I said on the yahoo groups website, nice job Dan. We make a good team - I provide the technology you you provide the art.

-Sean aka Belisarius
-Belasarius (aka Sean J.A. Edwards)
Legio XX, USA
Thanks Sean!

And thanks for letting me use your camera too. I like having a second camera on hand when I am being serious about taking pictures so I can have one with a general purpose lens and one with either a wide angle lens or a telephoto. Alas, I forgot to get batteries for my other camera. It all worked out though.

Next year I want to be sure to get group photos. I suppose the best time for that would be Saturday evening after we are through for the day but before dinner.
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living with the Roman Army, 24th Sept, Manchester Viventius 1 1,637 08-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Legio XX at Virginia Scottish Games Sept 4-5 richsc 0 840 08-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Last Post: richsc
  Ft. Wayne ancient military heritage days, Sept. 2-3, Detroit TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX 0 1,155 08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Last Post: TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX