Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summarizing the Third Century Crisis
Quote:
Jasper Oorthuys:zjbbjoby Wrote:Jona, you may want to try to get your hands on the 7th volume of the Impact of Empire conferences.
Wow -- that one had passed me by. (Pity it's unavailable in Glasgow. :x )
I just ordered it. And here we can again witness that great Dutch ancient history swindle: the book is published by Brill, which is a Dutch publisher. But the book is distributed from England. So I must pay 20 euro extra to have the book shipped to England first, and 20 euro extra to get it back to Holland. I made a call to Brill, asking if I could visit them in Leiden and save the money (one railway ticket Amsterdam-Leiden is 7.40 euro), but that's not possible.

The problem is not Brill's, which is just a normal commercial publisher, benefiting from he shortsightedness of Dutch ancient historians. They used to cooperate with small publishers called Gieben and Forsten, because they belonged to an old boys network; and the ridiculously high bills were forwarded to the university libraries - and to the tax payer. Now, the Dutch ancient historians allow Brill to steal from you and me.

Sometimes I think that if Mao had staged the Cultural Revolution in western Europe, I would personally have sent the ancient historians to the countryside to learn a thing or two about responsibility. I am not even sure whether this is a joke - I feel really angry.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Sometimes I think that if Mao had staged the Cultural Revolution in western Europe, I would personally have sent the ancient historians to the countryside to learn a thing or two about responsibility. I am not even sure whether this is a joke - I feel really angry.

But not quite angry enough for Qin Shihuangdi's bury them alive approach :lol:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Put that way, the original question makes me wonder about why the emperors tried to fund their increasing expenses by debasement, not increased taxation (the solution which Diocletian eventually used). A phrase or short sentence about the principate's limited powers to raise money might be wise here.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Further destabilising effects for the overall security situation of the empire may have come from the Aurelian plague (lon-term loss of manpower) and the rise of Christianity (tied up time and energy).
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:A phrase or short sentence about the principate's limited powers to raise money might be wise here.
Point taken.
Quote:Further destabilising effects for the overall security situation of the empire may have come from the Aurelian plague (lon-term loss of manpower) and the rise of Christianity (tied up time and energy).
The recent (2007) Cambridge Economic History of the Greco-Roman World (now here is a book that every single cent of its $225) also stresses the importance of epidemics, but it quotes an article by Scheidel, who is also the main editor of that book... I do not know what to make of that.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:I believe that the concentration of troops at central locations was more due to the fact that the emperors needed them to fight their fellow Romans and also needed to stay in personal contact with them to survive than to any changes in defensive strategy. With respect to the "increase" in the number of cavalry, evidence is shaky and it has been pointed out that the strategic speed of cavalry armies is far lower than that of infantry armies. Again, this may be more of an issue of concentrating "high value" troops closely around the emperor.
Agreed, but the example of the german raiders who broke through the Danube defences and entered Italy unopposed also had a part in that changing strategy. I believe that the development of (stone) walls for many cities and towns was part of that changing view.
About gallienuis, he did not so much increase the number of cavalry, than that he created cavalry units by removing the legionary cavalry and created new cavalry units from them. He is credited with creating the first proto-field army, a model on which later emperors continued.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:About gallienuis, he did not so much increase the number of cavalry, than that he created cavalry units by removing the legionary cavalry and created new cavalry units from them. He is credited with creating the first proto-field army, a model on which later emperors continued.
Where can I read more about this? De Blois' thesis?
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:1ew5pwwj Wrote:About gallienuis, he did not so much increase the number of cavalry, than that he created cavalry units by removing the legionary cavalry and created new cavalry units from them. He is credited with creating the first proto-field army, a model on which later emperors continued.
Where can I read more about this? De Blois' thesis?
Nicasie mentions that the evidence is scanty and mainly based on the 12th-c. Byzantine chronicler Cedrenus (Georgius Cedrenus, Historiarum compendium VII 406). Apparently this reserve was created c. 258 and based in Milan under a new high commander, the praefectus equitum. I found this in Hoffmann.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Where can I read more about this? De Blois' thesis?

I believe that this theory was originally developed in Grosse, Robert: Römische Militärgeschichte von Gallienus bis zum Beginn der byzantinischen Themenverfassung. Berlin: Weidmann, 1929 but I do not have him at hand.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
IIRC Scheidel is a strong proponent of one of the sides in the debate 'crisis or not'. That may be important to know when reading his economic theory vs the 3rd century.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:
Quote:Where can I read more about this? De Blois' thesis?

I believe that this theory was originally developed in Grosse, Robert: Römische Militärgeschichte von Gallienus bis zum Beginn der byzantinischen Themenverfassung. Berlin: Weidmann, 1929 but I do not have him at hand.

Indeed. but from 1920. :wink: Is it already in the public domain? There's a 1975 reprint from Arno Press..
Here's a pdf with Cedrenus'work:
http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/0 ... Interprete ),_GR_LT.pdf
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:... I do not know what to make of that.

As a - cheaper - starting point: J. F. Gilliam: “The Plague under Marcus Aureliusâ€
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Eleatic Guest\\n[quote]As a - cheaper - starting point: J. F. Gilliam: “The Plague under Marcus Aureliusâ€
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:It's more difficult to say things in few words than in many pages

Summary of the Third century Crisis

"Help we are surrounded!"

Sorry Jona could not resist it. Nevertheless I know what you mean I have just had to fill out a qustionnaire for my new book which was not easy.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:For what it's worth, I believe the key to the so-called Third Century Crisis was the coincidence of barbarian invasions, natural catastrophes and civil war amongst usurpers, which exacerbated financial difficulties by disrupting the economy.

Another Marcus Aurelius or Septimius Severus could probably have weathered the storm. You can see things picking up again under Aurelian, so it was just an unfortunate episode rather than a trend.

But then Diocletian took a more authoritarian stance, which has coloured our view (imho), encouraging us to see a continuing process of decline.

Nevertheless, the cultural decline was present since the 250s if not earlier, so long before Aurelian. It is pondersome if Aurelian could have stemmed a collapse of the entire culture rather than just some military incursions on the border; but either way Diocletian came shortly thereafter and put the last nail in that coffin, as you said.
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fortification of Gaul and the "Crisis of the 3rd Century" Eleatic Guest 1 504 02-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman armies of third century crisis Vexillation 13 3,696 12-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Vexillation
  Army composition of the 3rd century crisis? EdwardL 12 5,834 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross