Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a 1st/2nd century sword
Hi,

I need your expertise. This is supposedly a 1st/2nd century AD Roman sword.

Its only 20 inches total, end to end (handle to sword tip).

Did Roman swords of that era still have a center ridge running down it?

20 inches total, is this a sword or possibly a large Pugio?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Steve
Steve, give some more info about provenance. 20" is really long for a pugio, but the wasp waisting and midrib is typically pugio. Sure it's not a deliberately corroded piece?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Steve, give some more info about provenance. 20" is really long for a pugio, but the wasp waisting and midrib is typically pugio. Sure it's not a deliberately corroded piece?

Hey Jim,

It comes from a reputable place, but what I gave you is all they have.

I’ve never seen a sword like this. At first, I though it was Republic, that would explain the ridge and the thin waist, but I’ve never seen one from that era like this either.

If it is authentic, what do you think, sword or overly long pugio. are there any other swords out there that are 20" in length?

Again, any info is appreciated.
Steve
There are Pmopeii blades around 30cm in length (or semi-spathae). But they follow the typical straight sided Pompeii model I believe. But anyone's welcome to correct me.

If it's genuine then I'd guess it's a gladiatorial blade, or late Republic.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:There are Pmopeii blades around 30cm in length (or semi-spathae). But they follow the typical straight sided Pompeii model I believe. But anyone's welcome to correct me.

If it's genuine then I'd guess it's a gladiatorial blade, or late Republic.

Wow, 30cm is 11.81 inches, no more then a Pugio. Did soldiers use the semi-spathae to fight or where they ornamental or possibly a childes sword? I’m not really familiar with those.
Steve
I am inclined to agree with Jim the waisting and central mid rib give every indication of it being a pugio. However are the measurements you give correct, infact where does this come from and has some one not mixed up these measurements.
Brian Stobbs
Parazonium?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Parazonium?

M.VIB.M.

Wikipedia says A parazonium is a long triangular dagger, wide at the hilt end and coming to a point.

This sword or dagger has a narrow waist.
Steve
Wiki is not always right!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Ignore Wikipedia. A parazoniium is an interesting suggestion, but I'd still be dubious about its authenticity anyway. I saw a highly reputable firm recently put a helmet up for auction after spending thousands on getting it cleaned up; It was a Trooper helm (fake as fake can get).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
yeah i also have the idea that this is not the real thing and might be a fake ribbed 18th century sword thingie junk item......

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
The place that has this is reputable and they do have experts that know their stuff. I’ve contacted them asking them to verify what this is, and I’ve been told that their expert will contact me, but I haven’t heard anything yet.
Steve
Impossible to judge this on this picture. You need much more detailed pictures, preferable also with a microscope to tell anything about the corrosion.

If they have an 'expert' that has had this piece in his hands and examined it closely, you'd better wait for his findings.

If the archaeological context is not known I'd not use typology as a guide to say if it's real or not. A look 'under the hood' of the artefact is needed.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
His gladius and dagger:
[Image: herculaeumgladiusdaggerandtoolssmall_140.jpg]
The dagger looks like a minature gladius and the dagger might have a central rib.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Quote:His gladius and dagger:
The dagger looks like a minature gladius and the dagger might have a central rib.

Based on the size of the grip of the dagger, I wonder if the entire length is about 20"

Assuming that the sword I posted is authentic, what time frame would you place it in.

What would everyone else say, voice your opinion.
Steve

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sword, I century AD Bruno Bazzani 44 16,272 12-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Bruno Bazzani
  3rd century Roman sword hilt (?) jho 24 6,842 11-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Sword, I century AD: a new photograph ! Bruno Bazzani 41 9,631 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Bruno Bazzani