Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoes for your lady
No, really wish I did, though. Has it ever been reprinted?
Do not have the pictures here now, but that boot is also shown in "Römische Schuhe, luxus an den Füsen" page 10 upper right.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:
Lvcivs Commodvs Cicero:281lly9r Wrote:Very nice I wanna a pair for my S.O.

I'm sure your Senior Officer will be.....pleased?..... :twisted:

lol well I do consider her to be both my significant other and my senior officer. :lol:
Valete,
Owain/Cicero
a.k.a. Dave Kufner

QUI DESIDERAT PACEM PRAEPARAT BELLUM

<a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/
Hi Robert,

Quote:No, really wish I did, though. Has it ever been reprinted?

No, I don't think so, but if you have access to a university library it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Quote:Do not have the pictures here now, but that boot is also shown in "Römische Schuhe, luxus an den Füsen" page 10 upper right.

But those are all stated to be made after the finds from Welzheim (although somewhat liberally, when compared with the drawings of the catalog (Driel-Murray, C. van: Das Ostkastell von Welzheim, Rems-Murr-Kreis. Die römischen Lederfunde. Stuttgart: 1998) - the carbatinae recons all have soles for example). Actually, the top right shoe I can't even find among the closed, nailed shoes in the catalog ... maybe it's the same pattern as the one below, but that is a carbatina according to the catalog, without any trace of an extra sole.
Salve Martin,

I was somewhat puzzled, but it is a great looking boot all the same. As far as I can tell, the extra sole is present in those reconstructions that feature the upper being basicly made out of one piece without the leather wrapping fully underneath the foot like the Cuijk ones.
I can probably find the book in the library of the KAM museum, so will give that a try. Then again, shoes are not really my main interest, you know so much more about Roman leatherworking, and I prefer the more basic arms like spear- and arrowheads, being a hobby blacksmith trying to recreate techniques and finds like in the picture of the unussual pilum I did for the Valkhof museum.
It just happened to come up in my dealings with DSC and finding a lack in off the shelf shoes for women, thought I would give it a swing. Turned out rather well, I think .... Smile
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:I was somewhat puzzled, but it is a great looking boot all the same. As far as I can tell, the extra sole is present in those reconstructions that feature the upper being basicly made out of one piece without the leather wrapping fully underneath the foot like the Cuijk ones.

Hm, not quite sure I understand you right. The shoes from Cuijk I know (4th cent.) are like carbatinae. So is the "boot" you cited above, or better, it is a high carbatina. I wouldn't mix those. Especially since there are boots which are so typical for the 3rd century (see here).

Quote:It just happened to come up in my dealings with DSC and finding a lack in off the shelf shoes for women, thought I would give it a swing. Turned out rather well, I think .... Smile

Yes, definitely and a good job, too! As for my homework - the catalog text btw. does not mention a heel stiffener and also says the shoe was not nailed, so that seems to be all right, although quite uncommon in comparison. The bit of leather protruding upwards from the vamp and taking up the lacing normally is not doubled on Roman shoes, but that's a very minor thing, and may actually have been different here.

Here's the drawing of the find, fyi:

[Image: Welzheim101.jpg]

from: Driel-Murray, C. van: Das Ostkastell von Welzheim, Rems-Murr-Kreis. Die römischen Lederfunde. Stuttgart: 1998
Interesting you should point that out. I opted for the double little lacing flap on basis of the pictures 47 (a very similar shoe) and 58.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I looked through the conversation above, but I do not see a website where I can view the commercial version of these shoes. I am thinking of dressing as a Roman for an upcoming Renaissance faire and I really do not want to wear gladiator sandals as the ground can get pretty nasty with spilt beer and all. Thanks for your help!

Tracie
Quote:I looked through the conversation above, but I do not see a website where I can view the commercial version of these shoes. I am thinking of dressing as a Roman for an upcoming Renaissance faire and I really do not want to wear gladiator sandals as the ground can get pretty nasty with spilt beer and all. Thanks for your help!

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

I guess you mean Caligae by 'gladiator sandals'. Those were the footwear of the legionaries. Gladiators fight bare-footed. (but that's off-topic).

The lady shoes are available through Armamentaria in the UK and Soul of the warrior in the USA.
[url:2ncft513]http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19[/url]
[url:2ncft513]http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id331.html[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
I really meant "gladiator sandals". They are the current fashion rage this summer. I should have put the words in quotations in my original post as I was not referring to ancient gladiators. Apologies for misspeaking!

Thanks Jurgen for the link!

Tracie
Further to the above, it is good to note that in the original drawing posted by Martin, the left side flat is indicated as being lost. There is no cutline, the little flap seems torn off. That is the reason I opted for a double laceflap in front, as some originals do seem to have them. These are nice shoes, I only just recieved my final version of the commercial product by DSC and am very pleased with these. The lacing is still a bit of a muddle, but that is easily corrected, each lace crosses into the pockets.

Adrian does these in the UK (Jurjen's link), Rusty (SOW) handles the USA side as far as I know.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers