Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoes for your lady
Salve Omnes!

The next best thing to present your lady with (after jewels) is good shoes.
So, in an attempt to finaly get the wuf kitted out, I decided to develop a set of good fashionable ladies footwear with Daniyal Steel Crafts (who also do excellent leatherwork, dispite their name).

Here are the first results! Shoe is based on the Welheim finds from Germany, Saalburg displays a wealth of reconstructions. There will be another model as well. This first one still needs some tweaking, so will keep you all posted on progress.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
good work Robert!
ALA I BATAVORUM
So who will the RAT retailer(s) be? Another fine item available for the reenactment community. Laudes!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
LAUDES!!!!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Nice work Robert - what period/time are these from?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Wonderful! I'd love to see these available for purchase soon!
Iulia Sempronia (Sara Urdahl)
Officium ante Proprium Bonum
Wow, those are great! If only I could convince the girlfriend to go to an event as a roman!

Legion: TBD
Very nice Robert, they look better in larger pictures!

Quote:what period/time are these from?

These are mid second Century IIRC.
Looks very good. If based on Welzheim (and there are very similar shoes from there), they are early 3rd cent. AD.
Thanks, Martin! Praise from our own "King of Leatherwork" really means a lot!

These are indeed based on Welzheim (sorry for the typo :oops: ), credits to the Limes Museum in Aalen, but are a very classic pattern, so should be OK for earlier periods, I believe. Would love your opinion on this.

By the way, I am not in any way going to market these, so all requests for purchase should best be directed to Daniyal or whatever vendor will carry them.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I'd be more than happy to carry a few pairs of them! Big Grin
I"d be glad to buy some as well; any idea when they'll be available in the US?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Daniyal is sending me a revised pair shortly, like I wrote, the first pair needed some tweaking. I have also sent them some other Welzheim models to see if they could make these accuratly as well. Richard, I hope a US vendor will contact them direct. From Adrian's reaction, I have the feeling the UK side of things is covered Big Grin .
I have very definitly specified I would help development only without exclusivity, just wanting to ensure better products for a forgotten group of customers, the lovely ladies.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:they look better in larger pictures
Yeah, and bigger, too!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ah, well, there is one of the tweaks, mind you! In the present model shown, the forefoot was made a bit too pointed, making the shoe come out at least half a size under par. Then there is the cut of the forefoot, which is slightly lower in the original then in the reproduction and should be altered. This should both improve wearing comfort as a better fit to size. But all in all, the first set was done well in veg tanned leather. I have recommended pretreatment with Neat's foot oil to prevent staining, as the untreated shoes do stain easily. But like I said, I am just here for the development, after the next pair, I'm out of it :wink: Hope to be able to post the next (and final!) pair soonest and tell you what the wuf thought of fit and comfort.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers