Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman TFD (Topic For Discussion): Justinian I
Quote:As far as the small number of troops involved, I would like to bring up two points. First, if Procopius can be believed on this point (most scholars seem to think so), Justinian was hesitant in placing too many troops under Belisarius. And even though good ol' Belisarius would probably have not acted in a rebellious manner, one can easily understand the emperor's recalcitrance on the matter. Much more can be said about this, but I'll let you guys roll it over a bit. Second, Justinian seems to have been - how to put it - a cheapskate when it came to the military. 'As few as can do the job',seems to have been the mantra. He put very few soldiers into the area of operations, considering how many he could have used. This does not include mention of the Persian front, nor of the plague. But just a couple ideas.

Keep'em coming!

Name me an Emperor Eastern or Western who trusted large numbers of troops to a talented general and did not live to regret that choice.
Timothy Hanna
Define the term "trusted"...
I'm kidding of course! Well, Augustus began the tradition, and pretty much every emperor after him left legions and groups of legions under the leadership of someone else. Whether or not these men were talented is another matter, as well as if the emperor lived to regret it. There are numerous examples of both extremes.
But nevertheless, you bring up a good point. I do not wish to single out Justinian for this. After all, similar situations still occur in some places today.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Quote:
Quote:There were enough troops but too many generals.

I wonder which is worse, what you said, or too many troops and not enough generals? :lol:

But yes, the Balkans were regarded as sort of a backwater, at least as much as we can tell. Athens is not really included in the Balkan area. It was included in Greece, which the Romano-Byzantines differentiated from the Balkans. I guess the appropriate modern description for the "backward" area would be (approximately) everything west of Thrace to the Adriatic, and north of Macedonia to the Danube.

I see. Thanks for pointing that out... Smile o
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Ioannes_Ahenobarbus:2ugz1sby Wrote:As far as the small number of troops involved, I would like to bring up two points. First, if Procopius can be believed on this point (most scholars seem to think so), Justinian was hesitant in placing too many troops under Belisarius. And even though good ol' Belisarius would probably have not acted in a rebellious manner, one can easily understand the emperor's recalcitrance on the matter. Much more can be said about this, but I'll let you guys roll it over a bit. Second, Justinian seems to have been - how to put it - a cheapskate when it came to the military. 'As few as can do the job',seems to have been the mantra. He put very few soldiers into the area of operations, considering how many he could have used. This does not include mention of the Persian front, nor of the plague. But just a couple ideas.

Keep'em coming!

Name me an Emperor Eastern or Western who trusted large numbers of troops to a talented general and did not live to regret that choice.

Vespasian.... :wink: True the general was his son....but they have been known to be nasty too! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:As far as the small number of troops involved, I would like to bring up two points. First, if Procopius can be believed on this point (most scholars seem to think so), Justinian was hesitant in placing too many troops under Belisarius. And even though good ol' Belisarius would probably have not acted in a rebellious manner, one can easily understand the emperor's recalcitrance on the matter.
Second, Justinian seems to have been - how to put it - a cheapskate when it came to the military. 'As few as can do the job',seems to have been the mantra. He put very few soldiers into the area of operations, considering how many he could have used. This does not include mention of the Persian front, nor of the plague. But just a couple ideas.

Actually, he gave Belisarius quite a large army, and we shouldn't be too willing to accept Procopius' statements - or later scholars' interpretations of those statements - at face value.

Quote:
Timotheus:3isi4pgu Wrote:Name me an Emperor Eastern or Western who trusted large numbers of troops to a talented general and did not live to regret that choice.

Vespasian.... :wink: True the general was his son....but they have been known to be nasty too! :wink:

Justinian. The troops he gave to Belisarius and, especially, to Narses the Eunuch, could easily have allowed them to claim/nominate somebody for the throne ahead of Justinian.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Quote:
Ioannes_Ahenobarbus:1d8bacls Wrote:As far as the small number of troops involved, I would like to bring up two points. First, if Procopius can be believed on this point (most scholars seem to think so), Justinian was hesitant in placing too many troops under Belisarius. And even though good ol' Belisarius would probably have not acted in a rebellious manner, one can easily understand the emperor's recalcitrance on the matter.
Second, Justinian seems to have been - how to put it - a cheapskate when it came to the military. 'As few as can do the job',seems to have been the mantra. He put very few soldiers into the area of operations, considering how many he could have used. This does not include mention of the Persian front, nor of the plague. But just a couple ideas.

Actually, he gave Belisarius quite a large army, and we shouldn't be too willing to accept Procopius' statements - or later scholars' interpretations of those statements - at face value.

Quote:
Timotheus:1d8bacls Wrote:Name me an Emperor Eastern or Western who trusted large numbers of troops to a talented general and did not live to regret that choice.

Justinian. The troops he gave to Belisarius and, especially, to Narses the Eunuch, could easily have allowed them to claim/nominate somebody for the throne ahead of Justinian.

Justinianus would have been in deep trouble if Belisarius had accepted the offer from Osthrogoths for throne... (IIRC. they offered him rule of Italy).
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Quote:Justinianus would have been in deep trouble if Belisarius had accepted the offer from Osthrogoths for throne... (IIRC. they offered him rule of Italy).

Yes, he would have been in trouble: but then again, any Emperor that allowed a general to have a large number of troops would have been in trouble if that general had decided to rebel.

However, I don't really think that there was ever any real danger of Belisarius accepting the offer. It would have meant an immediate war with the Empire and Belisarius did not have the resources to fight Justinian - especially as some of the commanders in Italy would not have supported his cause. Belisarius knew that any rebellion would have aroused the full might of the empire (compare the resources that Narses was later able to command to destroy the Goths) and Belisarius didn't have the troops available to win.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Can we all agree that Justinian gave Belisarius 10,000 infantry, 5,000 cavalry for the Vandalic expedition? This does not count Belisarius' rather large bodyguard, or the Huns and Heruli, nor sailors/marines.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Justinian Roman helmet / long mail hauberk etruschi 49 9,227 02-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Last Post: daryush
  (moved Roman vs. English to Off Topic) richsc 0 1,307 11-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Last Post: richsc