Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying a Depeeka Corinthian Helmet
After much thought on either making or modifying a corinthian helmet I have finally decided to modify a depeeka helmet seeing as they are pretty cheap and most of the work already done!

I just recieved it in the mail and noticing the cheek guards are extreamly long I have cut these back, rolled the edging outwards, and extended the nose guard by forging it out, this is just after hammering so needs to be filed to get the more globular shape in the images I based it off below. The brass is quite thin so this was a tricky job and time consuming. I also pushed the cheek guards in to close it a bit more at the mouth. Of course it needs ALOT of cleaning up, and I will post pictures of it when finished.

I may paint or lightly chissell into the cheek guards the images of pegusus and the chimera, as I want to have a hoplite impression from Corinth at the time of the Peloponnesian wars. I may replace the olive vine over the brow with a water wave pattern.

If I am wrong PLEASE tell me. I think the helmet is a much better style now and fit, as I can now wear it on the top of my head where previously the cheek guards would not allow this.

[Image: P7230307_edited.jpg]

[Image: P7230309_edited.jpg]

Basis for the modifications, given the limits of the thin brass material to work with.

[Image: corinthian_helmetqq.jpg]
Let your warriors be your shield, and your horse be your saviour, for I will live to see another fight another day.
Good work, Tim :wink: ! I have been toying with the idea of modificating my Deepeeka helmet too. The brass of your helmet looks very thick compared to mine. For example the brass of the nose guard of my helmet is so thin that the edges are razor-sharp :? . I will follow your work with the helmet with interest!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thanks, very looking forward to getting some time for the next step, filing the nose and cheek guards, and scrubbing off that layer of varnish they cover it with, and giving it a good buff.
The brass is pretty thin, extending the nose was hard. It was heated, then about 2-3 VERY light hammer hits on the edge then re-heating to hammer it flat again. A slow and repetative process.
Let your warriors be your shield, and your horse be your saviour, for I will live to see another fight another day.
Just been sanded and light buffing.
[Image: P7260307_edited.jpg]
[Image: P7260308_edited.jpg]
Great work, Tim Confusedhock: !! This just reminds how seemingly easy Deepeeka could improve their corinthian helmets...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Paint stripper's good for removing lacquer.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
A great improvement Tim! Lauds!

I'm not a great fan of the Deepeeka Corinthians generally. They’re ok but when whole groups of hoplites are wearing identical helms it does look a bit odd, so it’s great to see some variation! The Osprey Thermopylae book seemed to have most of the Greek army wearing deepeeka Corinthian helms Sad D )

I did this kind of thing virtually once with a picture I had on the computer using Photoshop! Well done for actually doing it! Big Grin

The cheek guards look fantastic! :wink:
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)
Quote: the brass of the nose guard of my helmet is so thin that the edges are razor-sharp :?

Are all Deepeeka Greek helms so thin? I have heard they vary in quality. I tried one on earlier this year and it was very thin.

That might explain why there seems to be so few Greek combat groups out there! Although I know a Spanish group do some fighting (if you tube is anything to go by)! 8)
Well, I must say that I´m very satisfied with mine.
Of course, the nasal could have been a bit thicker, but over all it is well done.
The quality varies indeed, and it is very important to have several different views of it as a minimum, i would not buy one without more than one Photo on the sellers website.
Uniformity is really a problem with those helmets, but imagine what some paint or a nice crest could do to break it......
If you seek an alternative to the Deepeeka late one, I think this early one could be an alternative:
Early Corinthian
The only sad thing about it is the crest, i think.
I do not know how well it is done, but maybe its useful.
Kind regards
Strategos
Strategos
(Willi Miesen)

Athenian Hoplite
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de]
Thank you Strategos! That is indeed a very interesting alternative! I like the earlier style without the eyebrows and ear holes better. The cheek guards look smaller too with a bit of a flare, though they could still do with being a bit closer together, how did you achieve this with yours Tim?

Has anyone bought anything from these sellers? Has anyone got a D/B Corinthian like these? If so how thick is the metal. It would be nice to get one that could stand up to a beating even if I don't ever need it to! Big Grin
I just pushed the cheek guards closer together.
I was looking at the picture you have of the original helmet, the measurement scale does not let me see if there are holes at the ends of the cheek plates. What I mean by that is I have made a few Corinthian's in my time and one I did from an original had holes at the ends of the cheek plates, what I found was that when one links the two cheek ends together with a tiny piece of wire thro these holes it makes the whole facial area much stronger indeed.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for a new Greek Corinthian helmet, any ideas? Achilleion 2 1,906 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Achilleion
  The corinthian helmet on horseback? Steakslim 5 2,026 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Depeeka Greek helmet Tim Mathews 45 9,718 07-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar