Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman sarcophagus (ii?) at the Camposanta, Pisa
Are these well known to the RAT community? I took some pictures of two of the more interesting ones whilst there. If people want to see them, if someone could tell me the file size limit to paste them into an posting.......
a.k.a. Simon Frame
Now this has worked, I'll add that the ones of interest- one has some axes, spears and 'coffin shaped' shields on the end, whilst the other has a general of some sort taking the surrender of barbarians. Behind him is a guy with one of those 'ring' helmets as per Trajans column.
a.k.a. Simon Frame
It would be great if you were to post some pictures of these! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:... if someone could tell me the file size limit to paste them into an posting ...
Not sure if there is a formal limit -- is there? (The FAQ just says that it's up to RAT to impose a limit.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
You also could send them to Jasper, so that he can add them to the database.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Tomb one - end views (main panel was a badly damaged cavalry battle - a hole had been hacked through it!). Note the two guys to the left of the main man.
a.k.a. Simon Frame
Tomb one - other end.
a.k.a. Simon Frame
Tomb two - main panel close up of centre (rest was plain)
a.k.a. Simon Frame
Tomb two, end panel. Other end was the same but difficult to photograph due to a pillar being in the way. These two were the obvious military ones. Also a nice epic inscription about caesar (think it was JC) forming a colony at Pisa(?) but that didn't photograph at all well
a.k.a. Simon Frame
Two other Pisa tombs here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camposanto_Monumentale

I'll put the Tunisian ones up somewhere and link them as there are a lot of them.

(outbreak of enthusiam is because I did my first Roman re-enacting at the weekend! - well, one drill display.....) :oops: Big Grin
a.k.a. Simon Frame

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Sarcophagus Discovered in Israel August 2015 Pointer 2 1,370 09-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Scubasteve89
  Late Roman Officer, sarcophagus relief-pics, pdf Arahne 8 2,871 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Painting of Roman soldier on sarcophagus? Tarbicus 17 7,249 03-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Last Post: MeinPanzer