Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting of Roman soldier on sarcophagus?
Does anyone have a better photo of this sarcophagus in Istanbul, Turkey? It looks a beauty to be mulled over.

http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/projects/geoweb ... Museum.HTM

[Image: 62-39s.jpg]

It bears a striking resemblance to this fresco of a supposedly Ptolemaic soldier from 145 BC.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/RC ... oldier.jpg
http://www.romanarmy.nl/rat/viewtopic.php?t=21999
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It's the stele (not sarcophagus) of Dioskourides, a Pisidian mercenary from Balboura and a standard bearer in the second century BC garrison at Sidon. Like all the 17 or so surviving painted stelae depicting soldiers that have been found at Sidon and which were still in pretty good condition upon discovery, it's Hellenistic, not Roman. Sekunda has made a nice catalogue of these stelae in his Montvert title on the Ptolemaic army, in which he argues fairly convincingly that they are Ptolemaic and not Seleucid. That other painted depiction of a soldier is of a Pisidian from the same garrison, Salmas of Adada, which is also second century in date.

They are indeed beautiful examples of painting from that time, and the group as a whole provides one of the single best sources of information on armament and military costume from the entire Hellenistic period.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
All right, I am 22 years old college student and an amateur artist. I'm trying to figure out how to transfer a photo I took to an art canvas. Does anyone know how to do this, and if it is possible to does it by using transfer paper? Can it be enlarged onto transfer paper? Does anyone know how to transfer a photo to Art Canvas? Any help comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you,
This is not the forum to ask the question, but you can print the image on a canvas I believe, using an ink jet printer.

And since you're new, forum rules require you to add your name to your signature.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yes, it's true. They make photo print paper with a canvas texture, or, possibly you could print the photo onto transparency paper and project the image onto your cloth canvas.

Welcome aboard, Femina. You should be able to find many good tips on a wide array of Roman history and modern reenactment/living history here.

And Rich is right about the forum rule for signature/name. If you're not sure how to do that, feel free to send me a PM (see the click below for Private Message) and I'll walk you through it.

Have fun!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
And to continue posting, Femina, you will need to add a real name to your profile signature.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Avete,

I'm curious about the boots seen on the Sidon stele below :

(thumbnail, clickable)
[Image: th_ptolomaic_soldier.jpg]

Can someone identify the type of boot seen on the stele ?
I'd like to download a pattern for my early Eastern Auxiliary impression.

~Theo
Jaime
That's from the stele of Salmas of Adada, a Ptolemaic mercenary from the early 2nd c. BC. Those are closed boots Hellenistic soldiers are sometimes depicted wearing, and are not Roman.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
The inscription actually says, "Salmamodes of Adada, good man, farewell." The other one (from the first post of this thread) says, "Oh Dioscourides of Pisidia-Balboura, son of Exabous, the standard bearer of the allied forces, good man, farewell. His brother Ceraios had (this stele) erected." Both are from Sidon.

The larger pics that I took in the museum this January are here:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r383 ... G_5585.jpg
http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r383 ... G_5599.jpg

No flash was allowed, so they are what they are.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
What period are these? They both appear to be carrying republican era scuta with spina and wing/butterfly boss'!? :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The inscription actually says, "Salmamodes of Adada, good man, farewell."

That was the label they had in the museum, IIRC, but the inscription has been restored to be "Salmas son of Moles of Adada, good man, farewell!" in more recent literature because it doesn't make sense that the man wouldn't have a patronymic.

Quote:What period are these? They both appear to be carrying republican era scuta with spina and wing/butterfly boss'!? :?

These are from the first half of the second century BC. They are carrying thureoi, as was the norm at the time in the eastern Mediterranean, which is indirectly related to Roman scuta in use at the time.
Ruben

Ahh, excellent! I was wondering if perhaps these were later due to the helmets,
a sort of stylized homage to the past!
That is interesting, also the helmets which, while I can's place them, must be a fairly accurate portrayal of something that also existed! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Ahh, excellent! I was wondering if perhaps these were later due to the helmets,
a sort of styalized homage to the past!
That is interesting, also the helmets which, while I can's place them, must be a fairly accurate portrayal of something that also existed! Smile

I don't know exactly what you mean by this, but the helmets represented here and on the other 15 or so stelae from Sidon are all pretty standard contemporary Hellenistic helmet types for which we have many other examples (both actual and iconographic).
Ruben

Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:2raneexo Wrote:Ahh, excellent! I was wondering if perhaps these were later due to the helmets, which remind me of a sort of styalized homage to the past!

I don't know exactly what you mean by this, but the helmets represented here and on the other 15 or so stelae from Sidon are all pretty standard contemporary Hellenistic helmet types for which we have many other examples (both actual and iconographic).

What I mean is, "I can't place them" :?

The one looks like some helmets I have seen, vaugely, but the other looks like a helmet worn by a Spanish conquistidore....I know of no helmet like that in ancient times....nothing more, just an admission of my lack of recognition.
Smile

But reading it again, I see I must have deleted an important part of the sentence..... Sad roll: :oops: Hopefully the edit will help.....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The shields may have been of Celtic inspiration. Considering the extent of Roman military borrowings from the Celts it would be odd if the Hellenistic monarchies, given the Sack of Delphi and the extensive settlement of Celts in the Balkans and Anatolia, did not do likewise.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Sarcophagus Discovered in Israel August 2015 Pointer 2 1,363 09-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Scubasteve89
  Late Roman Officer, sarcophagus relief-pics, pdf Arahne 8 2,839 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Roman sarcophagus (ii?) at the Camposanta, Pisa Scipio Bristolus 9 6,684 07-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Scipio Bristolus