Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belgae in Ireland:shock:
People called the Brigantes and Damnonii are recorded in Ireland as well as in Britain. The name of the anomalous Irish saint, St Brigit, is from the same origin as the root 'brigant-' probably derived from the name of a godess. An old theory equates the race of Fir Bolg (possibly meaning 'Spearmen'), recorded as one of the mythical invaders of Ireland, with the Belgae, but the linguistic similarity might be misleading.

It appears that the old tibes of Ireland included some P-Celtic speakers, called Cruithne, which is also the Goidelic term for the inhabitants of Britain. Tribal identity in Ireland was utterly swept aside in a social and political revolution which saw the rise of non-tribal Goidelic dynastic groups ,such as the O'Neill and Eoganachta, around the time of Christ. In early Irish records some family-clan groups are recorded as having Cruithne origins.

The term 'Celt' is bedevilled with inconsitancies of interpretation because people who should know better confuse language, ethnicity, ancient Greek and Roman historiography and physical culture.

The basic definition of 'Celt' is a speaker of the Celtic Indo-European language group. Anyone who speaks or is recorded as having spoken a Celtic language is a Celt. Thus a modern Welsh-speaking Welshman is a Celt and an ancient Galatian was a Celt, neither is more Celtic or less Celtic than the other.

Archaeologists used to think that artistic and pottery styles were linked to ethnic groups in a fixed way. If you make a pot a certain way and decorate a piece of jewellry with a certain type of design then this denotes an ethnic group. If this physical culture appears in a geographic area other than from where it originated then the people who made it necessarily came from the area of origin and had physically moved. This has been shown to be bunkum, like arguing that the Nissan cars found in Holland prove that there has been a mass migration of Japanese people to the Netherlands.
Arguments that British Celts are not really Celts because they differ genetically from the people of the Rhineland who originated the Halstatt and La Tene art styles is equally intellectually untenable. We have no way of knowing where the Celtic language group originated and there is no way of knowing whether the Rhinelanders were speaking Celtic dialects before or after the people of Britain (or Spain). Movement of an art style does not equate with the movement of a language or people.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
"An old theory equates the race of Fir Bolg (possibly meaning 'Spearmen'), recorded as one of the mythical invaders of Ireland, with the Belgae, but the linguistic similarity might be misleading" I have recently read that there are also similarities to Irish words for bright or shining, which link in with suggested origins for Belgae, which in itself is a confederation rather than a tribe ... as I believe were the Brigantes originally.

"In early Irish records" I have come across this phrase recently in relationship to them showing that there were hospitals in Ireland at around 300BC but the exact source was not indicated. Are we talking folk history as recorded by later monks etc?

Regards

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
In essence, yes. Quite a few genealogical records, obviously post-conversion in origin, give non-Milesian origins - Cruithne, Erainn, Laigin etc to some of the prominent later Irish septs. As non-Gael origins would presumably not be as prestigious as descent from Mil himself it would seem that these family origins preserve a record (initially oral) of the multi-ethnic tribal nature of the pre-dynastic peoples of Ireland.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:In essence, yes. Quite a few genealogical records, obviously post-conversion in origin, give non-Milesian origins - Cruithne, Erainn, Laigin etc to some of the prominent later Irish septs. As non-Gael origins would presumably not be as prestigious as descent from Mil himself it would seem that these family origins preserve a record (initially oral) of the multi-ethnic tribal nature of the pre-dynastic peoples of Ireland.

Just about to start Barry Rafterty's Pagan Celtic Ireland: The Enigma of the Irish Iron Age. Is there anything else I can read to suppliment this?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:
Just about to start Barry Rafterty's Pagan Celtic Ireland: The Enigma of the Irish Iron Age. Is there anything else I can read to suppliment this?

Well the Tain and Mac Da Tho's Pig are good for background. Barry Cunliffe has written a number of good books on the prehistory of Britain and Ireland and the "Atlantic Littoral."
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:

Well the Tain and Mac Da Tho's Pig are good for background. Barry Cunliffe has written a number of good books on the prehistory of Britain and Ireland and the "Atlantic Littoral."
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:

Obviously a server hiccupped when I posted, and there doesn't seem to be a "delete post" option.

Vae victis!
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:Arguments that British Celts are not really Celts because they differ genetically from the people of the Rhineland who originated the Halstatt and La Tene art styles is equally intellectually untenable.

Well said. Your summation is nicely succinct and accurate.

DNA migration evidence, while interesting, is unfortunately often confused with cultural, linguistic, and mass population migration.

There is a person on our Celtic festival Board of Directors that keeps wanting to link the Celts and the Jews because DNA markers supposedly indicate a migration from the Middle East.

:roll:
[Image: dirttagline.jpg]
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Re: Living History Blog
Salvete Omnes!

Personally, I don't know what all the fuss is over. Yes it's true the Belgae were here in Hibernia. When we invaded in 82AD we brought some auxiliary cavalry, along with loads of Celtic Numerius. The buggers quickly turned native though and ran off to watch the sun go down on Galway bay. If that wasn't enough, we were assaulted by legions of little men dressed in green shouting 'Pukee...Pukee' :lol:

The local chieftain's were quick to arrive though. They offered us a vile black liquid that you could almost eat. They then proceeded to offer us access to their women. We were exited at first until we discovered they could only say one word...Bahh!

Things weren't looking good. It was only a matter of time before the Celtic rabble had bread like rabbits and dam near taken over the country. This wasn't so bad, but when our love sick men began to have impure thoughts of breeding with them I said enough is enough.

We quickly upped sticks and headed back to Deva :oops:
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Quote:Salvete Omnes!

Personally, I don't know what all the fuss is over. Yes it's true the Belgae were here in Hibernia. When we invaded in 82AD we brought some auxiliary cavalry, along with loads of Celtic Numerius. The buggers quickly turned native though and ran off to watch the sun go down on Galway bay. If that wasn't enough, we were assaulted by legions of little men dressed in green shouting 'Pukee...Pukee' :lol:

The local chieftain's were quick to arrive though. They offered us a vile black liquid that you could almost eat. They then proceeded to offer us access to their women. We were exited at first until we discovered they could only say one word...Bahh!

Things weren't looking good. It was only a matter of time before the Celtic rabble had bread like rabbits and dam near taken over the country. This wasn't so bad, but when our love sick men began to have impure thoughts of breeding with them I said enough is enough.

We quickly upped sticks and headed back to Deva :oops:

This explains where the horses came from .... the ones that are taken to Cheltenham every year
:roll:
Conal Moran

Yoda
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]

Possibly Related Threads…