Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draco\'s head in Ermitage ?
Hello,

I read about a silver draco's head which would be in the ermitage museum in Saint-Petersbourg. I have not even a clue of this object. Is it a legend or a a real object ?

Do you have Info or pictures of this artefact ?

Bye

Greg
Greg Reynaud (the ferret)
[Image: 955d308995.jpg] Britto-roman milites, 500 AD
I recall that it's not a draco, but an animal head for a windsock.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I will be going to St. Peterburg in september. When I was at the Hermitage beginning this year, I did not notice any draco's, I would have, for I am looking at cavalry equipment for shows. If anyone can point to the exhibit it is in, I could see if I have any time left from work to pop into the hermitage and take a picture. Mind you, fotographing is not allowed in all exhibits and little Engish is spoken. I had a major job getting someone to give me an inkling on the Cyrilic script in the lettering of the exhibits of the pre-history section, with some great Iron age goodies. Even the periods are in Cyrilic, so had no clue of the datings! I did post the picture of the supposed Sarmatian helmet on RAT, though Smile
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
It is Sassanian silver head of Senmurv and it was draco-like banner as mentioned by man who found this peace in the rests of ritual complex in the woods near Ostiyako-Vogulsk. Dated by VII-VIII centuries A.D.
More info and line drawings of this piece you can find in my short article in Russian (please use on-line translator)

http://aenegin.narod.ru/Draco.doc
Andrei Negin

«multos castra iuvant et lituo tubae permixtus sonitus bellaque matribus detestata» - Horatius
Thank you Clibanarius and laudes to you. So I keep in mind that the only archaelogical Draco's head known is the Niederbieber one.

Bye

Greg
Greg Reynaud (the ferret)
[Image: 955d308995.jpg] Britto-roman milites, 500 AD
Quote:It is Sassanian silver head of Senmurv and it was draco-like banner as mentioned by man who found this peace in the rests of ritual complex in the woods near Ostiyako-Vogulsk. Dated by VII-VIII centuries A.D.

A bit like this one then?

[Image: draco16.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
clibanarius:3ie28w7i Wrote:It is Sassanian silver head of Senmurv and it was draco-like banner as mentioned by man who found this peace in the rests of ritual complex in the woods near Ostiyako-Vogulsk. Dated by VII-VIII centuries A.D.

A bit like this one then?

Yes, on the picture shown similar to Hermitage banner head.
Andrei Negin

«multos castra iuvant et lituo tubae permixtus sonitus bellaque matribus detestata» - Horatius

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Caesar\'s Ghost...uh, Head, I mean Head Frank Miranda 4 2,967 02-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr