Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sexual life of Roman soldiers
About adultery and abuses, the gombette law of the burgondian is quite clear (501 AD).
http://ledroitcriminel.free.fr/la_legis ... mbette.htm
Sorry I only know it in its french translation and it is legal jargon so I don't know exactly what would worth an automatic translation. This a the translation by JFA Peyré (Lyon 1855).

Read more particularly
Titre XII : about young girls rapt
Titre XXX : about the crime of rape [dramatically shorter than cattle robbery]
Titre XXXIII : about insults [and also injuries] made to women
Titre XXXIIII : about separating [don't you regreat article I ? Wink ]
Titre XXXV : about sentences to slaves who attempted to the decency of free women [and above all unmarried girls]
Titre XXXVI : about incests
Titre XLIV : about criminal affairs of daughters and widows
Titre LII : About women who, after promissing to marry a man, marry another one to satisfy their passions.
Titre LVI : About women who voluntarily had carnal affairs with a man.
Titre LXVIII : About adultery

I won't translate in details but if the victim is a slave woman the fautive will simply have to pay a fine and if the fautive is also a slave, he will be punch-up and the owner will have to pay.

If the victim is a free or noble woman the sentence is death except if the fautive is noble, then it's a compensation and a fine.

In case of adultery if the fautives are caught in the act then it's death for both. If one choose to kill only one, one must pay the compensation just like in a normal simple murder.

Anyway, I know that the gombette law is a late burgondian law which try to conciliate the roman and germanic laws in order to preserve the economic power of the kingdom and keep united and strong the barbarian newcomers. They are also christians but I did not found any allusion to homosexual case.

Each time, the text precise man and woman.

An french book recently appeared about female homosexuality in ancient Rome, I think I will buy it in a few time to see how it was described and the consequencies in applying roman citizenship rights. According to the summary it was the main concern about that for romans.

Bye

Greg
Greg Reynaud (the ferret)
[Image: 955d308995.jpg] Britto-roman milites, 500 AD