Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"A War like no other\"; by Victor Davis Hanson
Quote:In terms of comparing this approach to events in the Peloponnesian War, setting up bases in Iraq that were far larger than could ever be needed for local military activities (but perfect for launching large scale actions at Iran and, much less importantly, Syria) can be compared to the Athenian campaigns of 425-424 B.C. that set up fortified sites (epiteichismoi)around Sparta to west, east, and south at Pylos, Methana, and Cythera respectively.

I don't believe the plan was ever direct armed US intervention into Iran, so I would propose a better analogy would be the creation of Megalopolis by Thebes as a focal point and example for the rallying of elements hostile to Sparta within the peloponesse. A pro-American, democratic Iraq would have been quite an effective "fetter" to Iranian interests and probably resulted in internal revolt- all of the Iranians I know hate their leaders, yet would fight for them if invaded. Just like the Arcadians, Mantinea for example, turned out to be trouble for the Thebans, we shall not see the Iraq they wanted to create any time soon. The special little evil hidden away in this strategy is that if it worked and a pro-west democracy was installed, Iraq would have become the "Poland" of the middle east, a battle ground for generations.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
sweat blood rotting wood and more - by Goffredo - 06-17-2008, 08:19 AM
please read Strauss of Trojan War - by Goffredo - 06-17-2008, 09:54 AM
barry strauss is my best - by Goffredo - 06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Re: \"A War like no other\"; by Victor Davis Hanson - by PMBardunias - 01-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Re: \"A War like no other\"; by Victor Davis Hanson - by Anonymous - 01-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Re: \"A War like no other\"; by Victor Davis Hanson - by Anonymous - 01-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,854 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Hanson 300 Article Johnny Shumate 46 8,930 03-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Last Post: ambrosius