Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scale Armour Backing
Quote:I believe I would opt for using hemp canvas over linen. The fibers are longer, and thus more duriable. Another fantastic feature of hemp fabric is its natural resistance to rot, and mildew. .
I have used hemp canvas for my squamata, and I've used for three years without any problems.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I've checked a few places in town, and hemp or linen canvas hasn't shown up, although cotton has. I think that most hemp grown in BC gets used to make other things than cloth Wink Still, I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the advice so far.

For those of you who have used leather, do you remember what weight or thickness it was? For those of you who used canvas, do you remember what weight it was, and did you use one layer or several?

I know Matthew Amt used one layer of 2-3 oz calfskin or goatskin, plus two layers of linen for stretch resistance, in his Bronze Age scale armour. My armour will be a bit denser, but it seems like 4-5 oz/2mm leather ought to work in that case. I also see Brennius' armour with two layers of canvas.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:For those of you who used canvas, do you remember what weight it was, and did you use one layer or several?
I can't remember the weight of it (and the website of the supplier does not give that information), but I've used one layer, which was enough. Of course a second layer would not hurt, but it's heavy enough as it is.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Avete,

I, too, used hemp canvas which weighed at 12 oz.. I'm worried this might be too thin but I had the shoulders doubled. So far I've only worn it at one two-day event where it wasn't subjected to any kind of abuse. No problems with it as yet.

Also, I used hemp to stitch the chest rows onto the backing. The thread is quite thick and cheaper than any kind of sinew or linen.

Quote:I'm more worried about the armour rusting with sweat soaking through the backing I reckon that any sort of backing will get pretty dirty and sweaty after a few wearings.

Wearing a leather subarmalis between your tunic and the armor backing would probably go a long way to prevent sweat from reaching the scales, IMO.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:I've checked a few places in town, and hemp or linen canvas hasn't shown up
You might try here:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3 ... abric.html
That could be what you're looking for.
• 100% hemp canvas
• 12 oz per square and about 20 oz. per linear yard, 60" wide
• Thread count is 42 threads per inch x 27 threads per inch

Their catalog is a lot of fun, too.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks for the replies! I'll have to check that link, since it looks like they operate in Canada.

I ended up going with two layers of 12 oz hemp canvas. I'm done most of the scales and just finishing assembling the backing. Then its time to stitch on the scales ...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I use a linen canvas for my subarmaliss, outer layer.
It is ok, but my first one shrunk on me...... :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
www.hemptraders.com

I think I used the heaviest 100% hemp canvas they have, a 21oz I believe.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scale Armour for infantry and cavalry. Gaius Julius Caesar 18 4,204 01-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Late Roman shield backing Caballo 5 2,350 03-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Matthew Amt
  Dura scale armour. Thigh Guards. Valerius Valentinus 14 3,625 12-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS