Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman war chariot?!?!
Occassionally! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
But ... what about if this chariot is a burial containing one of the suggestions for military reform proposed by the anonymous author of De Rebus Bellicis - his suggestions included both single and two-horse chariots. (My favourite though is the oxen-powered-paddle-warship)

Now there is a spanner in your works - a fourth century treatise (I think it was addressed to Valens in 369/370) proposing military reforms including chariots and now a grave dating to at least the fourth century with a chariot.

I am convinced!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

(I'm not normally one to use emoicons but I have to, in this case, to show I am not serious why is there no sarcasm emoticon? - apologies if anyone is 'convinced' by the above! Although you could make an academic piece out of it) Are there any pictures of the find?

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Each emoticon can be a sarcasm emoticon, you just have to know how to use it. :lol:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
:roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, it never really says that the chariot was a Roman chariot, just that it hails from that period of time. Didn't other cultures use one sort of chariot or another? Greeks did, right? And it's in the period of time when it could have been a rich Greek overindulgent guy, or something, and not necessarily a Roman creation at all?

Hope there is more info coming out. Wonder why they mentioned the 4th century coins? Just seems to muddy the water more. Horses buried in pairs. Hmm.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Northeast Greece.... Horses buried in pairs..... Bronze onamentation....
Sounds suspicously like an article I ran across while researching my Carrus design. http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 2003_26445
(not sure if the link will work, but you can just Google "Ekathimerini Roman carts".
There was mention of other mounds/carts awaiting excavation. AFAIK these were four-wheeled funerary carts with no military application. For my work, the most interesting evidence this dig provided was the evidence of iron axles. Probably more important in the greater context of Roman transportation was the possibility of a pivoting front axle. Sounds like it may be another case of a journalist completely misinterpreting a dig-site press release and adding in commonly abused words. Leading the general public further astray and getting us history geeks all excited for nothing. How many times have they called anything that hurls projectiles without powder a ""catapult" and anything with armor, tracks, or a gun a "tank".
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"