RomanArmyTalk
Roman war chariot?!?! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Roman war chariot?!?! (/showthread.php?tid=12921)

Pages: 1 2

Roman war chariot?!?! - D B Campbell - 06-15-2008

ARCHAEOLOGISTS have dug up the skeletons of 16 horses and a two-wheeled chariot in a grave dating back to the Roman Empire in north-east Greece, the culture ministry announced today.

The chariot, dating from the first or second century AD, was "undoubtedly designed to be used in war or hunting", the ministry said.

:roll: Hmmm ...

Full story: Australia Herald Sun (June 12, 2008) / Australia Broadcasting Corporation
(How come the Greek media don't have this story?!)

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - M. Demetrius - 06-15-2008

Mr. Campbell, have you noticed that when an authority or expert says, "Undoubtedly" there is always considerable doubt, or "Obviously" it wasn't the least bit obvious before the statement is made? Maybe I'm just being hypercritical as usual. Sad

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - Paullus - 06-15-2008

Saw that same article. Rolled my eyes as well. Probably a charioteer cemetery, but war is so much more exciting in the media.

Let them have their fun I guess Big Grin

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - D B Campbell - 06-15-2008

Please don't be so formal, David -- it's Duncan. I believe the saying is: Mr Campbell's my father! Smile

btw How's that temporary camp coming along?

Thanks! I'll try to keep my better breeding under control. :wink: :roll:

I'm trying to decide for sure on what scale I'll be making it. I want to use miniature painted figures, but 6mm is way too small, since I can't see them well enough. I'm thinking the 1/72 may be about as small as I can work on successfully. I bought a box of them and am mulling over the proper way to start the paint jobs there. Sprayed them with primer and cut off the excess flash.

Now the fun begins, eh?

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - Matthew Amt - 06-15-2008

Almost as good as the "sandals with socks" uproar. Gads....

Matthew

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - D B Campbell - 06-15-2008

Quote:Almost as good as the "sandals with socks" uproar.
The what now?! :?

What color were the socks? Did they match the tunics?
(don't kill me) :lol:

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - jkaler48 - 06-15-2008

Quote:What color were the socks? Did they match the tunics?
(don't kill me) :lol:

Of course the Roman Army always wore white socks to match their white tunics! Or was it red? NO Blue thats it Blue! Or maybe it was just a blueish
shade of Green instead. :twisted:

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - jkaler48 - 06-15-2008

But back on the chariot subject;
Unlikely the Roman Army would have authorized the use of valuable property for a burial. If actually in a Roman territory/period a racing connection seems much more likely. Anyone hear what color the horses socks were?

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-15-2008

So...they finally found the cause of global warming......Apollo's sun chariot
crash-landed in Greece! Confusedhock:

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - M. Demetrius - 06-16-2008

I read the article, but it didn't say if it was a two or four horse chariot. Anybody know more about that? If I remember correctly, the 4 horse ones were for dignitaries (like in a triumph) and races, and the two horse for travelling.

As always, I could be totally wrong. :wink:

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - Matthew Amt - 06-16-2008

Quote:
Matthew Amt:2vpwl9nj Wrote:Almost as good as the "sandals with socks" uproar.
The what now?! :?

Oh, don't you remember that from a year or two ago? A Roman statuette turned up in England that clearly showed socks being worn under sandals of some kind. No big deal to any of us who actually know a little Roman history, since the Cancellaria relief shows socks under caligae, AND the Vindolanda letters mention socks, AND socks have actually been excavated! Basically we've known this for at LEAST 15 or 20 years.

But the moron who passed himself off as an archeologist made this all out to be some huge news bombshell, and then had the stupidity to guffaw about silly Roman fashion sense! Did this idiot not know the first thing about history or how to study it?? Should have had his trowel shoved up his rectum...

Quote:Unlikely the Roman Army would have authorized the use of valuable property for a burial.

Except that there is no evidence that the Romans EVER used chariots in battle, so it couldn't have been army property, eh? Even if it were a military item, it would have been owned and used by an aristocrat, so the army wouldn't have had any say in what happened to it.

IS there any evidence that chariots were ever used for transportation? I thought that was another Hollywoodism. Horses, yes, and carriages, but not chariots.

Valete,

Matthew

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - jkaler48 - 06-16-2008

Quote:
IS there any evidence that chariots were ever used for transportation? I thought that was another Hollywoodism. Horses, yes, and carriages, but not chariots.

Valete,

Matthew

Rather like some idiot 2000 years in the future maintaining that Drag racers
were used for daily transportation.

And yes that that United States Army always wore green tunics! Or Blue Or
Khaki Or Brown. I bet we would have a good laugh if we could see the
US Army or British Army or whomever reenacted in 4008 CE!

Re: Roman war chariot?!?! - caiusbeerquitius - 06-16-2008

Hmm... is nobody ever reading the newsbot entries?

www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22842