Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum
Please understand that in LEGIO IX HISPANA...
...all members are strongly encouraged to use hand tools whenever possible and practical...

I use a scratch awl and teach our members how to use a scratch awl... for wood, metal and leather.

Most new Roman reenactors have never even heard of a scratch awl let alone know how to use one. Most know what a pencil is (and maybe how to use one? :wink: )... besides a pencil mark shows up better on the photos than does an awl mark.. and of course I didn't use the ink marker on the wood because the ink spreads throughout the wood and is harder to get rid of if the line is scribed incorrectly.

The photo essays include a section on how to use various hand tools...

We don't know if it was wrong or right to use a ruler in making and assembling a segmentata.... we have no idea. You certainly don't NEED one. As modern people we tend to default to the precision of rulers. From my experience it's not easier to use a ruler or even faster.... just a different way to locate holes, lines etc. .. eyeballing works too!

Afterall, we're not building rocket ships! Big Grin
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Messages In This Thread
How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - by Hibernicus - 06-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - by Hibernicus - 06-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - by Tarbicus - 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Re: How to\'s: Segmentata and Pilum - by garrelt - 06-29-2008, 09:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,346 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert