Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened to the Eagles?
From the original post, I understood the question if any were still surviving today? I would imagine that there would be very few because when people need money and looters see gold its the end for precious treasures. Are there any complete standards left? (minus the wood)
Paul Zatarain
[size=100:m472q49a]Leg IX Hispana CENT I HIB[/size]

http://www.reenactor.net/duplisite/

"What man is a man who does not strive to make the world a better place"
Quote: What about the two military standards mentioned?

Quote:University La Sapienza has made the discovery of a lifetime: a silk- and linen-wrapped poplar wood case covering three bronze pikes, a scepter, five javelins, and four spheres, three of glass and another of blue chalcedony, a type of quartz.

... seem to be some pike heads of standards.

http://romeinen.wordpress.com/2007/12/2 ... n-in-rome/
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
IIRC the latter are Imperial sceptres / look like the short sceptre-like lances held by imperial statues.
There are several standards left from the Roman Empire. Apparently two vexilla, a draco, and several beneficiary-style signum-tips, as well as a rectangular cohort sign and som phalerae, as well as lunulae.
Some can be seen here.
See also:
link from old RAT
www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=20679&highlight=signum
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:It seems odd to me given (all) that still remains, that these would 'all' simply vanish. :?

But you have to remember Andrew that there were a REALLY tiny number of them- there were only ever 20-30 LEGIONES standing at the high points, so even if sometimes there were new Aquilae made that might mean a total of what, 40 or 50 made? Consider the number of gladii that must have been made- some hundreds of thousands and how many do we have? We have nearly no scuta and they must have existed in the millions, there's little mail, only a handful of examples of segmentatae, more helmets but only a tiny percentage of the total number made, no provably authentic muscled cuirasses such as are depicted in sculpture. There are no complete signa, and only one or two elements known, one Vexillum, and so on and so on.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:But you have to remember Andrew that there were a REALLY tiny number of them- there were only ever 20-30 LEGIONES standing at the high points, so even if sometimes there were new Aquilae made that might mean a total of what, 40 or 50 made? Consider the number of gladii that must have been made- some hundreds of thousands and how many do we have? We have nearly no scuta and they must have existed in the millions, there's little mail, only a handful of examples of segmentatae, more helmets but only a tiny percentage of the total number made, no provably authentic muscled cuirasses such as are depicted in sculpture. There are no complete signa, and only one or two elements known, one Vexillum, and so on and so on.

My sentiments exactly.Though it would be amazing if an eagle were found,the chances of that happening are slim at best i think.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Well given the amazing treasures that have been accidently dredged-up from the Rhein and other rivers, as well as those things that just turn-up at this site or that, I figure there's always hope :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Happened to the Eagles? Titus Manlius Verus 44 11,343 05-08-2017, 02:48 AM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno