Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Gallic \'G\' and similar helmets
I had a question about the functionality of the design of the Imperial Gallic 'G' helmet and similar designs. In the back there is a "lobster tail" style of plate much like a fireman's hat. My question is, was this, like a fireman's hat, meant to protect the wearer's neck, or was it for some other purpose? I find it curious, because a soldier was never supposed to retreat and to receive a wound on your back was seen as disgraceful. I also feel with most of the battle the soldier presenting his front to the enemy giving additional weight to the helmet for a rear neck guard seems kind of gratuitous. Any ideas?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Gives a bit of protection from projectiles comming down from above too. Also what guarantee is there that someone will not manage to get behind you at some stage while you are preoccupied with another foe, and sink their sword into the unprotected back of your neck?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And`protect your neck against hits of your comrades. Look at the policeman equipment and the helmets they used in the manifestations, have always a neckguard. I think is for protect your neck from "friend fire", a hit with a scutum, etc...
And don't forget Connolly's theory they were to protect against high swinging blows to the upper back while in a crouched fighting stance.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
A neckguard is just good protection, but I agree that it's particularly good against missiles. In battle, your head may be turning left and right constantly, so the back of it could still be a target to someone technically in front of you. Remember that all the different forms of body armor also covered the back of the body!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Especially in the case of turning to meet a flanking attack...?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:And don't forget Connolly's theory they were to protect against high swinging blows to the upper back while in a crouched fighting stance.

From re-enactment experience i would have to agree with that. In the absence of the back guard there would be a vulnerable area of neck exposed to a taller spear-wielding opponent (e.g. me).

HTH
N.
You in the XIIIIth Nathan?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,427 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,747 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,888 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob