Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find It Fulham Scabbard Re-Fit - Work In Progress
Hey, now that looks pretty sharp! really unique!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Damn, thats nice! Great job! Smile

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Looks perfect! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
It's a very good looking work!! Bravo!

But... I think were better in that kind of sword to use a complete frame with side guttering. I think there are one sword with the bottom palmettes and side guttering, so why don't try to put a side gutters and over the chape and the mouth. I think in that way will be even more beauty, and more historical accurate.

It's my opinion, of course...
Quote:It's a very good looking work!! Bravo!

But... I think were better in that kind of sword to use a complete frame with side guttering. I think there are one sword with the bottom palmettes and side guttering, so why don't try to put a side gutters and over the chape and the mouth. I think in that way will be even more beauty, and more historical accurate.

AFAIK, there are two Mainz type swords, featuring scabbards with this design on the bottom - the Porto Novo gladius from Corsica and the Rajkova-Mogila gladius from Bulgaria (plus one Pompeii type gladius from...Pompeii). Both Mainz type scabbards feature the ending piece that Barry so masterfully recreated, a palmette above it, side guttering, and metal plates covering the front of the scabbard.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Thanks for the comments!

Cesar - yes I agree that I am going a little bit out on a limb here! However, in my defence what I am trying to do with the scabbard is show the transition between Mainz (non-repousse) scabbards, and Pompeii scabbards. As Alexander points out the two known swords with the openwork chape design also have elements that most often appear on Pompeii type swords including the palmette(s). They also seem to have simple geometric punched locket plates. If you look at the cross section of the Porto Novo scabbard it does not really appear to have side guttering, but merely the front metal scabbard covering overlaps the rear covering. I did not think it too outrageous to substitute the metal covering with leather and not have "side guttering" along the entire length of the scabbard. But I have to say that even at this stage I have offered up into place some full length side guttering and have considered putting it on!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
The guttering it's not only a question of estetic. The sense of put that metal reinforce is to avoid the point can cut the sides of the wooden sheath. The Pompei have less point and for that reason only the upper part is protected. The Mainz, Fulham and hispaniensis have a long point, so need a side guttering.

I have to congratulate you, again, for that master work and for choose an alternative style of sword, runnig away of the triada Mainz/ Fulham /Pompeii.
I'm seeing the Porto Novo pictures, and seems the sword have'nt side guttering: It have a complete metal plate covering, like some Mainzs swords, ant the back plate overlaps the front one. Over that thin plates it's positioned the chape and mouth piece in contrasting metal colour.
Cesar,

Could you please email me the pictures of the Porto Novo sword to kyrychenkoATlineoneDOTnet or direct me to them if they are online? Thank you.

I was basing my judgment about the guttering on the diagrams and photos from Miks. I now see you point, and I think I might have misinterpreted the diagrams. It is not quite clear to me yet whether the swords mentioned above had the guttering. Below are the diagrams and photos of the Porto Novo - what do y'all think?
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

And the Rajkova-Mogila sword:
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

Alexander, those are the drawings i have. I have interpreted the white zones with little dots as remaining of thin metal plates. The pattern is the same as the chape and mouth piece are represented, so i guess is the same material.

And if you see the cross section depicted, it's ilogical and dificult to bend the wood in that way.

Mikks in his description says the same, but with interrogations, because probably he haven't saw the piece directly. He says is bronze, so probably not contrasting colours, and all the piece is gold coloured.

About the second sword, you can see some remaining of a metal plate under the suspension band and over the blade (black colour in the picture). Under the palmette of the chape, seems too litle remaining of plate.

I don't know why (fashion?) but the covering with metal plates were very popular for Mainz swords.
Cesar,

Thank you for your explanation. So, you think that the Porto-Novo sword's scabbard was fully covered with metal plates on the back (as well as on the front)?
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

Thanks for those pics Cvrvis Big Grin It looks like they may have used a belt plate stamp on the wolf and twins on the Rajkova scabbard, Here is a compare of them both,
[Image: compare3.jpg]
If any one has pics of the belt plate versions It would be interesting to see Big Grin lol: It just does not seam it was intended for a scabbard too square, compared to the other ones like this found. :? lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Brennus, i always have thought that the belt plates and the Fulham sword are very similar. And, of course, both scabbards are quite similar.

Alexander, yes, i think the Porto Novo have both front and back plates, the borders of the back over the front plate. In this way, the scabbard is very similar (in conception) to another mainz scabbards.

The back piece folded and superposed to the the fron one are very used in celtic metal plate scabbards, and in some roman ones like this:

http://romancoins.info/milit-gladius-griff2.jpg
Cesar,

I have to admit I interpret the Porto Novo the same as you - metal plates front and back. I think it would be very interesting to see a reconstruction of this whole scabbrd one day and a blade that fits the scabbard.

Alexander - excellent pictures! The Rajkova-Mogila scabbard is very interesting indeed! At least now I can claim that my scabbard chape is based on an authentic finds (including the palmettes to the side guttering) Big Grin . What dating is given to that sword in Miks?

I am just about to make the scabbard suspension pieces and what I find very interesting is that both the Porto Novo sword and the Rajkova-Mogila sword have seemingly identical designs for these which are quite unusual. They seem to be slighty triangular in section with a row of raised dots along the apex. Quite plain and a little easier to make too!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,738 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,240 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,560 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert