Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My reconstruction of Tribuli
Quote: In this case a quick Internet search does show bitternut hickory as being a European tree, therefore it seems reasonable to me that a North American species, if not the bitternut exactly, is reasonable :wink:

I stand corrected!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Whoops- sorry Paul, I hadn't seen that you said there were no Hickory trees in Europe or I'd have been a little softer with my statement LOL And added the disclaimer that 'at least WikiAnswers says they're in some parts of Europe'.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:unless one is simply attempting a mock up
That's exactly what I shall be attempting. I have a few tools to make first, serra, securis, runcina, ascia (saw, large axe, plane, adze), and a metal shop to finish setting up, but one of these days, it will all come together.

The species of hickory we have on this property is called "Mockernut". The shell is about 90% of the nut. Even squirrels don't bother with them, but the husks of the nuts make a nice brown dye. Hickory, like ash, is used for many tool handles, knife handle scales and suchlike, even today.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Just another view on the use of different kind of wood. Studies at roman fortresses in the norther frontier, especially in the Netherlands have shown us that the Romans just used the kind of wood that was available in the neighborhood. We even know of fortresses which were built with several kinds of wood, used together at random.

As I think these pieces were both taken with the soldiers, and be replaces on site, I would say they also used the best wood that was available, and in the North there was a lot of variety in wood choice from area to area.
ALA I BATAVORUM
To create more than just a "mock up", here is the procedure that I have come up with:

I do not have a band saw, so after laying out the stake, I first cut the triangular portion with a hand circular saw, and as the depth of cut is not sufficient to go completely through 3 inches of wood, finishing the cut with a hand cross-cut saw. I then smoothed the surfaces with a draw knife. I found that the draw knife worked better than a did conventional block plane. A bit of sanding finished the surfaces futher. Lastly I cut out the extent of the center to a depth of about one inch followed by removing the unwanted wood with a wood chisel. Using this method I can make a complete stake in an afternoon.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Licinius, you're absolutely right about the drawknife! I had real doubts about it when I first picked it up, but after a few strokes, I smiled as if I'd rediscovered some ancient mystical secret (which for myself, of course, I had).

That's pretty much the same mode I'd had in mind, but I'm determined to make one with hand made ancient tools. And I'll do the first one with the softest wood, probably elm, just to give me one made in the shortest length of time.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Licinius, you're absolutely right about the drawknife! I had real doubts about it when I first picked it up, but after a few strokes, I smiled as if I'd rediscovered some ancient mystical secret (which for myself, of course, I had).
The trick to using the draw knife is to keep it sharp. I use a wet stone.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Yep, that applies to all cutting tools, of course. Add to my list of tools I need to make a few sizes of scalpra (chisels). Although for the rough work of chopping out the handle, the adze might be just fine. We'll see.

Does anyoone know what sorts of clamp mechanisms Romans might have used to hold things like this in place while chopping off the unwanted wood? Something that resembles a wood vise, I suppose, but what did it look like. Sigh. More tools to build. I guess that is a good thing. ?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Clamp working surface..

A shave horse is likely

A taller table (saw horse style) at a comfortable working height while standing... a leather belt/strap, around the saw horse top, long enough to nearly reach the ground.. place the wood on top of the saw horse...slip the wood underneath the strap, step into the bottom loop, apply downward pressure to "clamp" the wood against the top of the saw horse...

......We'll have one or two at Old Ft Mac Days..

A small carving axe is a quick way to make a valli, especially of green wood.

Or clamp dogs on a work bench or some sort...
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote:Or clamp dogs on a work bench or some sort...
Sorry, can't do that. We'd get in trouble with the law. Besides, I only have cats right now. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What's the ratio of coniferous trees to deciduous trees in Europe based on geographic area? In my area I can get access to both. Was wondering what was the predominant tree type over there based on location. Anyone know off hand, or can speak about it based on where they live?

Legion: TBD
Mag, not to sound flippant, but that's sorta like saying, "What kind of fish are there in the Gulf of Mexico?" :lol:

Climate, altitude, and soil type will have as much to do with trees there as trees here. From my knowledge (used to live in Southern Italy, near the Mediterranean seacoast) there are as many different kinds of trees there as here, but some you don't see here, such as the "Umbrella Pine" -- which provides most excellent roasted pine nuts.

There's some general formula for how a forest develops, with conifers and bushes first, and ultimately hardwoods like Oaks and Ashes eventually dominating. So I suppose it depends on how recently (in treeish terms, don't be hasty) the land was forested. Lots of old, old trees no longer exist in most places. They've been turned into furniture, buildings and railroad crossties.

That wasn't a very useful answer, now, was it? But at least it was sincere.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Was wondering what was the predominant tree type over there based on location. Anyone know off hand, or can speak about it based on where they live?

In the Nijmegen area the dominant tree would bee oak. Other local kind of trees the romans used for fortresses in the Netherlands are alder (?), ash and elm.

This is based on remainings of wooden pieces of fortresses and other buildings and clumpdiagrams.
ALA I BATAVORUM
There are charts maps showing distribution of tree species at just about any time... I've seen them... can't find one in my bookmark folder... maybe its filed away... grrrr
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America