Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica squamata- in a French biscuit tin....
Unfortunately it seems that much of the armour finds from dura europos are no longer viewable through the site Cry
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Hmmmm....unfortunately, you appear to be correct. I wonder why they did that?
Robert Sulentic

Uti possedetis.
There are scales at Vindolanda that are very close tyo that small, some people suggesting it was childrens armour. I imagine it was made so small for flexibility? Just my opinion, no actual experience to prove it.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would estimate that the scales in that biscuit tin are about the same size as the ones I make with my punch 20mm by 30mm. Infact they even look to be the same shape with the six holes along the top, they also look to be all identicle wonder if they were punched out all in one go as mine.
Brian Stobbs
We cannot categorically say that small scales of that nature belong to ceremonial armor.

Plumata scales are that small and thin as well. As a matter of fact more than five examples of plumata have been found. They are all approximatley the same size in mail and scales. They vary from cuppric alloy to iron to a mixture of both.

Plumata is not considered parade armor. I know some may argue that it has mail as a backing. What must be understood is that the mail without the scales would be useless. The mail in plumata is not like other stand alone mail.

A squamata with small overlapping scales vertically and horizontally stiched to a backing would also be effective. The smaller the scales the thinner the material.

However, larger scales than the ones being discussed have been found at around .3mm thicknessas well. So if the thickness is an issue, then all scale armor is parade armor. Larger scales with a .3mm thickness are not as strong as small scales with the same thickness.

The plumata samples that I know of were found at forts like the one at Newstead for military use not parade unless they were having parades at the fort.

One of the main reasons for tiny scales is the visual impact they make. You need more for coverage but given the small size, the thickness can afford considerable strength.

Besides as mentioned several times on RAT, the objective of armor is to defend against the incidental blow. The majority of blows should be taken by the scutum or other shield device.

No matter what armor you are wearing, you will not throw down your shield and tell the enemy "Dude, take your best shot" because you will have a hole somewhere in your body.

Also most of these armors leave the arms and legs exposed. Your oponent will much rather go to the open areas then try and penetrate your armor as a first choice.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carpow lorica squamata fragments Ross Cowan 5 2,365 04-30-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Ross Cowan
  Are these real roman lorica squamata scales ? Jose Lopez 10 3,634 12-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  How protective and useful was Lorica Squamata? Mrbsct 2 1,810 06-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Crispvs