Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are these real roman lorica squamata scales ?
    Hi,

Recently I've seen these bronze pieces sold as 4th century roman lorica squamata scales but I have not found much information about this claim. I want to get some for my collection but I'm not really sure about if they were really part of a roman armour.

So I'd like to know if some member could give some light about this issue please.

Thank you very much for any help.

Jose.
They look very odd for scales.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Can't see any images. Are they attached or linked?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I attached the image but it doesn't show...It's confusing how it works...Here it goes again...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't know what they are but they aren't from any kind of body armour.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(12-15-2016, 09:50 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: I don't know what they are but they aren't from any kind of body armour.

Would agree... maybe net sinkers or expensive loom weights?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
They look like 'jinglers', a sort of metal decoration specifically for producing noise , the sort of thing you may see as decoration on horse trappings or standards( not specifically military) or even wind chimes, gives the same effect as tambourine discs.

Without context I think it's just guessing unless there are other examples with a bit of provenance somewhere.
(12-15-2016, 02:10 PM)Dave G Wrote: They look like 'jinglers', a sort of metal decoration specifically for producing noise , the sort of thing you may see as decoration on horse trappings or standards( not specifically military) or even wind chimes, gives the same effect as tambourine discs.

Without context I think it's just guessing unless there are other examples with a bit of provenance somewhere.

The other thing is theres no way to figure the out the size of the objects... could be thumbnail or tennis ball size...

Edit just took a look and size is about Thumbnail and dished, jinglers do seem a possibility...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I'd agree, they look like simple danglies of some kind. There's no way in hell you could make functional armor out of them.
Do not try to guess guys Smile This applications are from the back of the knives from the European Renaissance period.Personally, I've seen hundreds of such knives of different sizes 18th and 19th century.So do not be fooled by these elements.You can find daily with metal detecting here is Europe Smile
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
(12-15-2016, 09:45 PM)Rado Wrote: Do not try to guess guys Smile This applications are from the back of the knives from the European Renaissance period.Personally, I've seen hundreds of such knives of different sizes 18th and 19th century.So do not be fooled by these elements.You can find daily with metal detecting here is Europe Smile

Thanks Rado makes sense Wink

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/.../id/597049

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/.../id/568467

Similar washers can be found on some of the Illlerup Knives as well as medieval examples though they tend to be flat rather then curved... see "Illerup Adal, Die Gürtel" and "Knives and Scabbards"
Ivor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carpow lorica squamata fragments Ross Cowan 5 2,308 04-30-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Ross Cowan
  lorica hamata real weight marcos 34 10,312 10-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Last Post: marcos
  How protective and useful was Lorica Squamata? Mrbsct 2 1,781 06-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Crispvs