Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Falcata and other early swords with pistol grips vs. Gladius
is that what 'Varus' was saying?

or was it rather that the dominance of the Roman military and a degree on standardization that pushed out different styles?
Mark
Sorry, I was trying to portray the idea that the dominance of military style may have been one of the reasons that other swords/weapons were not used as much.

Quote:dominance of the Roman military and a degree on standardization

this is about right. Thanks Mark
Paul Zatarain
[size=100:m472q49a]Leg IX Hispana CENT I HIB[/size]

http://www.reenactor.net/duplisite/

"What man is a man who does not strive to make the world a better place"
Quote:is that what 'Varus' was saying?

or was it rather that the dominance of the Roman military and a degree on standardization that pushed out different styles?

So the Roman Army was the Microsoft of the ancient world. :twisted:
Timothy Hanna
:lol: :lol: Good one.
Paul Zatarain
[size=100:m472q49a]Leg IX Hispana CENT I HIB[/size]

http://www.reenactor.net/duplisite/

"What man is a man who does not strive to make the world a better place"
Quote:Maybe, but Timothy's first post sounded like he was saying the blade form was the result of the grip. "Pistol grip" made me think of a grip set at right angles to the blade! But I know that's not what was meant, it was just a momentary wacky mental image. I'll go back to sleep!

Matthew

More or less that is what I meant. The design of the grip meant there was no reason to sharpen the backside because how you held it made it very hard to ever swing that edge at the opponent.
Timothy Hanna
big difference is the use.

Gladius is primary a stabbing weapon, tha falcata and the Dacian Falx are slashing weapons.

that is the reason the grips differ, nothing more, nothing less.

you are comparing apples with pears.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:A single-edged sword has a grip that can be held only one way to prevent you from swinging the blunt back edge at someone! Not sure I'd call even a falcata grip a "pistol grip"

But remember the falcata IS DOUBLE EDGED, as against Greek and Italica kopides. It was used as a thrusting AND cutting weapon. Its grip is very secure and strong, and protects the hand fairly well. However, it is much more difficult to fashion, and really a normal hilt makes the same job as well as it does, and is more flexible to handle.

Adn, yes, I wouldn't call it a 'pistol grip'. Not at all Smile