Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serial number & signature on Roman weapons
Serial numbers are used to monitor and quantify production. Signatures also allow weapons to be traced back to their producers in case it does not live up to quality standards. Thus, both identification markers help improve war materiel and war production in general.

Do we have evidence of serial numbers and signatures on Greek or Roman weapons? How widespread was such a practice? Who started first with it and under what circumstances?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Good question.
Have not found them yet on the material that i have seen.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
For swords I have come across no serial numbers on blades but stamped names and makers marks. As for scabbards eithier maker or retailer marks are mentioned. However I believe that swords were produced on mass in the early period 1st-mid 2nd AD so no marks were needed as these were sent from manufacturer to the army and quality control was left to a army auditor I think of Centurion rank for blades. Then when accepted they are sent on to be handled then scabbards made. After the 3rd AD makers marks become common more so on blades found beyond the Empire as well as makers marks.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Serial numbers are an obtrusively modern concept, and a product of the industrial age. They didn't even become mandatory for firearms here in the new world, until somewhere around the 19th Century or so. Possibly even the early 20th. Mostly prompted by the military as a way of tracking each individual weapon, when they began getting concerned about "technology" falling into the hands of the enemy.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I've seen maker marks with either a name or a name and a little symbol on iron knives, and at least one possibly armory mark on a sword ("IMP" within a tabula ansata), but unfortunately with irons propensity to corrode, whether or not it was a common thing is very difficult to say. I'd be very surprised if it had anything to do with tracablity and thus quality control because that indeed is a modern idea. Maker marks would have been more advertising than anything.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
If you want to see pictures and read about the types of things that do appear to be makers marks/symbols on Roman swords, I recommend these articles:

Ulla Rald, "The Roman swords from Danish bog finds" in the Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies 5 (1994): 227-41.

and

Marcin Biborski, "Römische Schwerter im Gebiet des europäischen Barbaricum" in the same journal and volume: 169-97 (even if your German is no good, there are lots of great illustrations).
L. M. Anderson

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute">www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number of Walled Cities in the Roman Empire Eleatic Guest 6 1,339 06-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman weapons and culture and Hindus weapons SAJID 7 3,001 01-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Last Post: daryush
  Which Roman fought the most number of battles ? Theodosius the Great 8 2,016 10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS