Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book: Blood Of The Caesars by S Dando Collins
Quote:read the book and understand....it just takes longer.
Jeez, Byron -- you sound like you're sitting around for hours, cut off from the world in a tiny, cramped cubicle with only a book for company. (You're not ... are you!?) Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I'd like to chime in with pro Dando Collins Vote. Even though I don't doubt any of the criticisms I've read about his books, I still really enjoy them. Eventually I'll read the new one.
Thanks Byron for defending an author I enjoy. Smile
Renius/Greg German
Legio VI FFC
Quote:"Could the killing of Germanicus Julius Caesar while the Roman Empire was still in its infancy have been the root cause of the empire's collapse more than four centuries later?"

Simple question.
Simple answer: no.

This sounds a bit like a tabloid headline: "Could Julius Caesar have been the brother of the Emperor of China"?

Of course the Roman empire did not fall because Germanicus was murdered.
First of all, the Roman Empire only fell with the conquest of Constantinople, trust silly publishers to not know that.
Second, so many things happened in between, so many factors played a part in the fall of the West, Germanicus' murder would have hardly mattered.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Could the killing of Germanicus Julius Caesar—the grandson of Mark Antony, adopted son of the emperor Tiberius, father of Caligula, and grandfather of Nero—while the Roman Empire was still in its infancy have been the root cause of the empire's collapse more than four centuries later?
Is he perhaps implying that Germanicus would've made a better emperor than Caligula? Undoubtedly true. But better than Claudius? I doubt it.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I didn't think Claudius was all that hot.. :wink:

He only arrived in britain, after the hard part was done..... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dando-Collins, \'Legions of Rome\' Carus Andiae 16 9,511 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: LupercusArchanus
  New Book from Dando-Collins: Great Fire of Rome Narukami 25 7,567 08-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Last Post: rononmaximus
  Caesars\' Wives Lindsay_Powell 0 871 11-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Lindsay_Powell