Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book: Blood Of The Caesars by S Dando Collins
It just keeps on getting better and better...

When the publisher sends a book to market the advertising machine kicks in and the sales blurbs on books go for whatever line will sell the most books.

In this case the catch line is: How the murder of Germanicus led to the fall of the roman Empire.

That is a pretty bold claim

Germanicus was without a doubt one of the most popular members of his generation, but to claim that the death of a single person would cause the fall of the entire empire...?

I did read Mr. Collins' first book (Caesar's Legion) but have not spent the time to read any of his other works. Perhaps that is my loss.

[size=150:2mg8om4w]Blood of the Caesars: How the Murder of Germanicus Led to the Fall of Rome (Hardcover)[/size]by Stephen Dando-Collins (Author)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $25.95
Price: $17.13

[size=150:2mg8om4w]Editorial Reviews[/size]

Book Description
Could the killing of Germanicus Julius Caesar—the grandson of Mark Antony, adopted son of the emperor Tiberius, father of Caligula, and grandfather of Nero—while the Roman Empire was still in its infancy have been the root cause of the empire's collapse more than four centuries later? This brilliant investigation of Germanicus Caesar’s death and its aftermath is both a compelling history and first-class murder mystery with a plot twist Agatha Christie would envy.

From the Inside Flap

It was an unfitting death for any Roman soldier. For the empire's greatest hero—a brilliant thirty-three-year-old general, fierce warrior, and gifted diplomat, beloved by the people and in line to become the third emperor—to die in his bed, after suffering weeks of agony, was more than a shock: it was a crime. Germanicus Julius Caesar died with the names of his presumed murderers on his lips, imploring his friends to bring charges against them. The year was a.d. 19, and, says noted historian and author Stephen Dando-Collins, the seeds of the destruction of the empire had just been sown.

In Blood of the Caesars, the fifth of his stirring histories of Rome, Dando-Collins delves into this ancient murder mystery with a fresh eye, a keen mind, and a host of questions. He lays out the evidence that Germanicus was poisoned, assesses the cases against those accused of the murder, and unearths a raft of new suspects, many of whom were among the most prominent and respected citizens of Rome. Then, he supplies a stunning solution to the mystery.

This provocative account unveils the labyrinthian array of intrigues, plots, counterplots, deceptions, and double-dealing that led up to the death of Germanicus and came into full flower after his murder. Beginning with the killing (not suicide, as many claimed) of one of those accused of poisoning Germanicus and followed by verdicts and sentences in the trial that many believed to be a sham, these sub-rosa doings included both failed and successful attempts on the lives of emperors.

How profound was the impact of Germanicus's death? Huge mobs stormed temples around the city because the gods had ignored their prayers for his life; Rome's bitter enemy King Atarbanus of Parthia declared a period of mourning; barbarians at war with the empire made peace in his honor. More darkly, Dando-Collins shows that the emperor Augustus had picked Germanicus to succeed Augustus's immediate heir, Tiberius, believing that the young general was the only man in Rome who could complete the job of empire-building that the first emperor had begun. With his death, Rome ceased to be a work in progress and became an unfinished edifice that could only crumble with time.

Blood of the Caesars combines a fascinating journey into the ancient world with a compelling real-life murder mystery and a truly astonishing solution that will require the rewriting of Roman history.

It all sounds exciting, but not enough to move this to the top of my current / future reading list. Perhaps a member of our forum can convinence me otherwise...? :?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Ok, I'll try to convince you: Maybe if you really want to, you might consider reading the book, ok?

How's that for being forceful? :lol: :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I picked up Blood of the Caesars last Friday and am looking forward to reading it.

I've read all of Stephen Dando-Collins books and enjoyed them, so hopefully will enjoy this one too.

Maius
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Actually, it sounds pretty interesting to me!
I'd like to read his theory, and well, I kinda enjoy murder mysteries... :oops:
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
He has a lot of theories and supposed research, but his problem is that he doesn't cite sources. That sadly makes him completely unreliable.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Actually he has a fairly comrehensive bibliography at the back of each book Jim.....is tha tnot enough?

I picked it up on friday too, looking forward to reading it, as he does make for an interesting read. Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I believe some of his earlier books have been picked apart here before. Anyone do a search?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Actually he has a fairly comrehensive bibliography at the back of each book Jim.....is tha tnot enough?

I picked it up on friday too, looking forward to reading it, as he does make for an interesting read. Smile

References in the text (a number or something else, refering to a bibliography at the back of the book) are much better I believe... This way you always know where a particular thing came from.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:I believe some of his earlier books have been picked apart here before. Anyone do a search?

Indeed there have been several threads over the years about Mr. Collins, none of them too complimentary (hence my somewhat tongue-in-cheek opening to this thread and why I have not spent the time to read any more of his books.)

His writing style in and of itself is not bad, but his command and use of facts seems wanting...

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ight=dando

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ht=collins

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ht=collins

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Were they actually picked apart, or just criticised for the same reason this one is, he doesn't lay all his research on a plate?

I guess if you want to knock the book, best to read it, and read all his references, then make your own mind up....I personally think his theory has more going for it than the , 'oh he just suddenly poped it, in his prime', while all around him stayed healthy...lol

But thats just me! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I am not discounting the idea that Germanicus was murdered -- in fact I'd say his murder makes perfect sense and may well have been done at the instigation of Tiberius.

My doubts center on the idea that the death of Germanicus would cause the fall of the Roman Empire.

"Could the killing of Germanicus Julius Caesar while the Roman Empire was still in its infancy have been the root cause of the empire's collapse more than four centuries later?"

Granted, this is just advertising hype (which is part of my point in the opening of this thread) and you are correct in saying that one should read the book in order to give a fair and relevant review, yet Collins track record in the marshaling and use of facts is not a great one.

Gaius, I hope you will favor us with a review so we might better judge this book and if we should invest our time in reading it.

There are so many books out on ancient history -- good, bad and indifferent -- that one must budget their time carefully. With only 24 hours in a day there is never enough time for all I should do let alone all that I want to do.

And then there is work... :?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
The domino effect.....lol yes that could be open to debate, but it could well have been one more nail in the coffin, all the other emperors with a few exceptions were eager to live off the wealth gained, while doing little to expand or even preserve it them selves...... :roll: Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: I guess if you want to knock the book, best to read it, and read all his references, then make your own mind up....I personally think his theory has more going for it than the , 'oh he just suddenly poped it, in his prime', while all around him stayed healthy...lol

But thats just me! :wink:

Im in agreement with you Byron! Smile
Let us know if you enjoyed reading it.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:Actually he has a fairly comrehensive bibliography at the back of each book Jim.....is tha tnot enough?

Not really. Do you have to read every book in the list to know what he's referring to in a particular line?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
If that what it takes....yes

What is the point of just rushing to a single paragraph in a reference?
read the book and understand....it just takes longer.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dando-Collins, \'Legions of Rome\' Carus Andiae 16 9,512 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: LupercusArchanus
  New Book from Dando-Collins: Great Fire of Rome Narukami 25 7,568 08-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Last Post: rononmaximus
  Caesars\' Wives Lindsay_Powell 0 871 11-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Lindsay_Powell