Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help - Mainz Scabbards - Geometric Punched Designs
Help!!!

The New Deepaka Mainz has a punched brass design overlaying a tinned plate. What is this based on and are there any other examples of this type of scabbard?

I am looking for inspiration to improve my Find-It "Fulham" Mainz scabbard so any help much appreciated.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
The design was by Armae, as far as I know.
[url:13kt4xy2]http://www.armae.com/Actualitesetmanuels/Mainz/Mainz.htm[/url]

They don't name their source, unfortunately.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks Jurjen - I had seen this but wondered if this was based upon an actual artefact, and whether there were more examples.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Barry,

It's the most extended type of gladius scabbard, more exemplars than pompeii ones.

You can see a lot of exemples here:

http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentari ... smainz.htm

Original are made with a wooden sheath covered by a thin plate of brass tined, frequently only covering the front of the scabbard. Over the plate and covering the borders are two side gutters. In the mouth is a locket and a chape covering the point. Both have a more or less intricate decoration of opus interrasile. (pierced)

That is the original style of Mainz scabbards, probably of celtic influence. Later, the locket and chape are embossed, like the "sword of Tiberius". A third variant is with all the plate embossed, not only the locket and chape. The Fulham scabbard is from that kind.

Another variant is made without the plate covering. Only the side gutters and a locket with a pierced decoration very simple. The "long Windsor" and "Porto Vechhio" swords are the more familar exemples.
Ahh...just the job Cesar, thanks!. I was looking in Bishop & Coulston (1st edition)and there really are none of this type shown. Do you know of any detailed drawings in reports or journals that I could use?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
In Bishop Coulston there is that type showed. Look better!! :lol:

The second edition:

http://romancoins.info/sword-sheath-1st-mcb.gif

There is number 2 .

Number 3 is the type with embossed chape and locket.

Number 4 is the type with all the plate embossed.

For the bibliography, there is tons of them. I'll look for them later, now i'm away from home.
I must get the second edition :lol:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I have a question, too. Anybody knows of a plate made of tined iron instead tined brass/bronze/copper?

Thanks!
Lvcivs try 5L oil cans they are tinned on the inside Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Salve guys! Were the gutters tinned as well or was that plain yellow brass??
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert I have had a quick look and I can not see any that look tinned. It could be an art thing as the plain edgeing frames the picture and throws it out so it is more noticeable.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hmm, had a good look at the pictures and they do not really show the material well. Some look to be iron, others ..... :?: Where these gutters of brass, bronze or iron, untinned, as far as anyone knows?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Brennius!

Thanks! I am thinking in real ones! :lol: For the tined iron, i have thought in use some big paint cans.

Robert.

The gutters are, commonly, of brass/bronze untinned, as the chapes and lockets. A lot of swords have lost them (the gutters), because is a very exposed part.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mainz scabbards reconstructons munazio planco 5 1,528 12-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Mainz gladius with frame scabbards Marcus Mummius 7 2,522 10-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Fulham or Mainz pattern scabbards Anonymous 3 1,334 09-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Last Post: venicone