Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new Centurion Balteus...
That looks rather spiffy!

The tombstone of Caius Castricius Victor is dated to the early second century. Ignore the description in the imagebase.. for the correct date have a look at http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/ii_adiutrix.html for II Adiutrix' movements to budapest. His tombstone couldn't have been there before late 106 at the earliest.

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/
Great! Thanks Ade. I see his rings are even with the frogs (at least from the front they appear to be so)...do you think my arrangement is acceptable? I've ne'er myself heard of the bottom rings being used....i still wonder why they were there though. I dyed and rivetted those pretty straps, and if I can't use them I'll feel bad lol.

Legion: TBD
I tied mine on with leather ties, and used one of the bottom rings to give it an angle, like you have with the straps Magnus.....can't hurt anything!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That's a sweet balteus Matt- good job.

Publius Flavoleius Cordus' pugio is high too- as are virtually all the other grave stelae I have saved.

The thing about the second arrangement you have there Matt is that while there's usually no indication of any kind of strap, whether it be pugio or gladius (when worn on the belt), there's definitely no depiction with long straps going to the lower rings that I'm aware of.

I have always thought it rather odd that lower rings are there but aren't sometimes used though- I guess they could be vestigial...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thanks Matt. I think my second arrangement should work with the thong and strap combo.

I've sometimes wondered if a very long strap could be used;

Starts at left frog > goes through upper left loop > behind and across sheath to lower right loop > across to lower left loop > up and across to upper right loop > through loop and onto right frog.

Just 'a thought'.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Publius Flavoleius Cordus' pugio is high too- as are virtually all the other grave stelae I have saved.

The thing is, unless a separate belt, as on the picture, allows the pugio to hang lower and not as tight, the high and tight positioning on a single tight belt makes the pugio hard and painful to take out/put back in.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:Thanks Matt. I think my second arrangement should work with the thong and strap combo.

You know Magnus, I am about to bust wanting to make a snappy comment regarding this post ! :oops:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:I've sometimes wondered if a very long strap could be used;

Starts at left frog > goes through upper left loop > behind and across sheath to lower right loop > across to lower left loop > up and across to upper right loop > through loop and onto right frog.

Just 'a thought'.

That sounds like it'd be pretty cool Jim. I bet I could measure it so the strap over top of the pugio on the outside has rivets in it. Big Grin

Paulvs, are you going to lafe? I may bring you something special... :lol: